Tennessee/Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Sep 10, 2023.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This game had a similar feel to the 2002 game in parts.

Tar Volon likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Was thinking the exact same thing. 1996 briefly came to mind, but the whole “forget how to play football for a quarter despite otherwise appearing to be the better team” was a dead ringer for 2002.

When we went up 7-0, I thought the route may be on. But we turned one mistake into ten mistakes and then it was too late.

Memtownvol, IP and warhammer like this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Is Heupel being an offensive guy make him reluctant to put the jobs of some of his defensive guys on notice? The defensive philosophy of Banks just isn’t conducive to the type of offense we play. I’d rather get burned a few times while turning teams over than the death by a thousand cut defense with the mediocre carryovers.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel's offenses have put up video game numbers in the Big 12, the SEC, the Mountain West and the AAC. His qbs always are amongst the best in their respective conferences in yards and tds except when Joe Milton is under center

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No telling what coulda woulda happened if we didn’t give up 6/7 3rd downs in the first half. That’s 3-4 lost possessions. Hard to get in offensive rhythm when you sit twice for 8 minutes of game time in the first half

TennTradition likes this.
  6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What is the duty of the OC? Does Heupel do it all? Why name one and bother paying for it?

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Especially now that there are less possessions with the clock not stopping on first downs. If the offense needs a little time to get clicking, well too bad, because we just let the other team kill the whole first half.

8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

He just strikes me as being optimistic in thinking that incremental improvements will be enough with his offense. Recruiting wise, we are improving on defense. And if you compare this game to last year’s the difference in large part was our offense. Different dynamics but similar. I just don’t think he thought his offense would suck this year. After tonight he might have to rethink it

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Much of the offensive strategy is predicated on speed and requires accurate execution by the officials between downs. There is a flaw here that has bit us repeatedly. The officials can and will [uck fay] it up. We need to adjust to that and have an audible to do the opposite of what the intent was from the same look when the hurry up gets cucked. There is no way to hold officials accountable

Tar Volon, AbeFroman and TDVol1989 like this.
  10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That is my problem with the kicked ball. It was obvious that something had happened that stopped our offense and gave UF time to sub and get their shit sorted out, but Heupel still made the decision to run the play when it was obvious that we'd lost the advantage of the quick tempo.

11. Ssmiff

Even with the kicked ball if we were aware enough we coulda snapped it. Unawareness infected the whole team from coaches down. Timeout on 3rd and 1 that should’ve just been an easy sneak made no sense.

lumberjack4 and IP like this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Smiff mentioned this is another thread, but does anyone know what has happened to Sampson? 4 TDs against Virginia, but then only 4 touches last week and none tonight.

Is he hurt or is he just the odd man out behind Wright/Small?

warhammer and IP like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You mean just snap right away or as they were subbing? I think they were prevented from doing so while subbing

14. Ssmiff

they weren’t “allowed” to sub. They just did it. Ref put the ball back in play and we weren’t aware they had 14 players on the field.

Tar Volon likes this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

No Milton just walked away from the line. I think he thought IF called a TO.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well that was a critical mistake.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He stood over the ball for a bit.

19. Ssmiff

they had to reset the play clock but if we had seen them running off the field we coulda been aware and snapped it. We left all awareness on the plane

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Milton is just not aware of what’s going on. Freakish physical talent. Does not manage the game or have any situational awareness.

Tar Volon and lumberjack4 like this.