Tennessee tourist arrested for bringing pistol into 9/11 Memorial

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Jan 7, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Tennessee gun owner arrested at 9/11 Memorial in New York for gun possession - NYPOST.com

Bloomberg is reported to have said that if she hadn't been arrested for the gun, she would have been arrested for the cocaine that was in her pocket.

Turns out it was powdered aspirin.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Feels unconstitutional.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

States have the right to regulate the wearing (possession) of firearms. It is usually within their Constitution, and has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

New York has tough laws, and no reciprocity with Tennessee as far as carry goes. In fact, most Northern states lack reciprocity. It puts legal permit holders of other states at risk during travel, if they haven't checked the firearms laws of the places they are travelling.

She, you would think, would be granted leniency, as she made a mistake. She isn't some criminal mastermind, she just made the mistake of thinking she was doing the right and legal thing.

I would expect her to beat the case, but that isn't the same as them just dropping the case. It seems, for now, that she will be prosecuted. Bloomberg has a major agenda here, and will not shy away from ruining this girl's life over something that would be a non-issue in a rather large number of states in this country.

Which is why you should always check local and state laws, or just leave your firearm at home. And if you forget, you march it back to the car, unload it, break it down into 4 pieces and store them in different compartments. But, even then, you have to worry about law enforcement officers without knowledge of Federal transport laws.

4. She needs to do 6 months for the stupidity of basically turning herself in.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

What part of a state license didn't she understand? It's not a driver's license and I have to imagine at some point she was told about the fact that her license was only valid within the state of Tennessee (or common sense could have taken over).

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a lot more complicated than that:

[​IMG]

If there were state laws this confusing about carrying anything but guns, this system would have been better streamlined.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

For example, if I had a carry permit in either Colorado or Tennessee, it would be be valid in both places with no problems. However, if I had such a carry permit from Minnesota, it would be valid in Tennessee but NOT valid in Colorado, despite Colorado being famous for its friendly gun laws.

It is needlessly and ridiculously complicated, and the states should get together to work out a more organized system.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm pretty much is this camp. i don't agree with prosecuting her, but it was pretty dumbshit to be carrying at the 9/11 memorial and then turn yourself in after realizing it.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If it were a crime to be dumb about 70% of our country would be on death row.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree with the spirit of your post. However, I disagree with your percentage. Way too low, imo.