Tennessee vs Austin Peay

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Sep 4, 2023.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm failing to see the point here.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The only thing that matters about Austin Peay (apart from the W) is what it tells us about the rest of the season. If we keep playing like this, it’s a premonition of doom. If we don’t, it’s a blip that’s soon forgotten. It was agreement with the person who said “crush Florida and nobody cares anymore.”

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Gotcha. I was just thinking, how does that make this game anything more than UVA season or any other besides three or four any given season, but yeah that's all any of these FCS games really mean anyway.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

This guy is posting each of the 1Q throws, if you want to parse out blame. I think you'll see it is at least half on the WR's. The throws aren't great, but there are some out and out drops in there too.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I went over throw 2 and 3. 2nd one was 3rd and 5 and he coulda run, thrown to 87 or to 2 in the flat.
    3 is the worst throw of all of them. 4 and 5 have to be caught. I saw no telling how many drops on balls behind receivers in NFL yesterday and none were coming in at 90 mph. It’s very tough to run a lateral route and reach behind you to snag a hot ball. If he was squatting it’s different

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The worst one was pass #2, a high fastball over the middle to your smallest receiver.

The rest weren't perfect, except Thornton's, but catchable

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

WRs and QB need work.

The difference is, I believe they will.

I have never seen a QB throw the ball so hard without trying. I don't think he grasps how hard he naturally throws the ball.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think there’s something to that

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Feel like him throwing the ball too hard is something that should have come out during practice. Unless he is just juicing them with the game adrenaline.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's not throwing uncatchably hard balls this year. That feels like a carry-over concern from years past.

SetVol13, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

His dropped balls were placement or plain drops. None of his balls that I saw Saturday were 95 mph fastballs

Except the one that sailed on Squirrel. That was humming

Tar Volon likes this.
  12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I suspect his ball velocity has come up in practice. I suspect there have been numerous discussions with him and drills to help him. That there are many practice tosses with the recivers

I think, especially in games as you mention, where you try to get a kid to let muscle memory take over and play, that is what happens. He just naturally has an arm that is a rocket. His mind is on reads and getting the call right. That muscle memory takes over relative to his arm and it just explodes with a flick.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I agree, it seemed that accuracy was more of an issue in the AP game than velocity (except for that pass over Squirrel's head. He blistered that one.)

I will not complain if Milton throws a 95 mph miss into a gator DB's crotch or earhole.

Move to the "Petty" thread if appropriate.

VOLinDAWGland and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. Ssmiff

We talkin bout practice?

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Team had a players only meeting. They know that game sucked and shit needs to get fixed fast or it's not going to be good. Milton apparently put the blame on himself.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not sure whether to be appalled it got that bad or pleased they’re being proactive after one game. Usually those are last-ditch, save-your-season type stuff.

17. Ssmiff

I like it. Big week. Don’t let anything fester. Take blame. Then squash it. Challenge each other. Go get ready to be better and don’t let it happen again.
    I like a team meeting before it gets ugly as after it gets ugly it’s probably too late as bad juju has already infected.

Memtownvol and TDVol1989 like this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm going to choose to view it as a decisoon to keep from getting to the last ditch, save your season situation.

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Mays coming back should help settle shit down on the field too.

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, if we were 1-2 and the season was going down the tubes, it would be a last ditch thing.

However, we are 2-0, ranked in the top 15 and about to go down and stomp Florida into the ground.