The 2024 hype-filled make not make it until opening kickoff thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 3, 2024.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nico is tied for fifth in betting for the 2024 Heisman. +1800

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he stays in that range through the season, we are surely a playoff team.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't appreciate this in college since I grew up nearby, but Tennessee really is uniquely fanatic. Look at this, far and away the highest combined attendance. No one is even close.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We just need some hope

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think it will be a fun year. SEC games will be the test.

Nico "seemed" to have better overall awareness and quicker progession/decision capabilities than Milton. But then again, it was Iowa.

Based on Sampson's blocking (or lack thereof), we know why he did not play more. RB blocking is an underrated skill.

Speaking of blocking, we really missed Bru's blocking on the edge, especially those passes on the edge.

I am looking forward to 2024/2025.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think they were some defensive juggernaut like they were sold as, by any stretch, but they were a competent good defense with some talent.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think Iowa had an average defense with a few good players. But I think their schedule substantially helped their defensive metrics and their record.

And in many cases the media and talking heads are clueless. Them ranked above us was BS. Their schedule/record was BS.

Don't get me wrong. It was a good win for us. The fact that we scored 35 with a freshman QB and a stable of young RBs and our defense held them scoreless was priceless.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They were a very fundamentally sound but not especially athletic defense. (Is this based on observation or stereotype? Hard to say)

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

They looked a step slow.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's how Ferentz builds it. They have good to great lines and badass tight ends

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

They did seem tad slow, compared to what we face in SEC.

All I know ... we scored 35 points against Ferentz's "good to great line(s)" and held his "bad ass tight ends" scoreless.

WWTFA. I am happy.

B1G can suck it.

12. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Nico is 10x better than Milton. I am bullish on 2024.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

That's arguably the worst song ever made.

But the kid looks good.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

After watching last night's game and thinking about Bama and UGA as well, my two biggest concerns for this team are the line and how physical can we be? They were concerns before last night, but after watching that, we're not in the same area code as those teams in those areas.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I think our ceiling next year is 2022 for that reason. And my unpopular opinion is that Michigan from last night would have done the same thing to Hooker that they did to Penix

Tar Volon likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Washington had no running game and Penix not a huge threat to run so M just blitzed and jumped on routes like Ga does when there’s no rb threat

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We'll see, Seldon is a physical back. Bru is a big, physical receiver.

IP likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some of it is attitude. Washington did not play with an aggressor attitude last night. They looked like the hunted. They looked like they were unsure. Michigan looked like they were starving for it. That stuff matters.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Seldon needs an rb camp and rb coach. He has the size and speed to be nasty but knows very little about the position. Kinda reminds me of Wright his freshman year when he just ran into whoever was in front of him pretty often and didn’t show much feel for reading blocks or cutbacks. He improved greatly. Seldon coming in at times and late in games to pound dbs who are tired from chasing wrs and Sampson all day could be nice.

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

There was a bit of frenzy to M's energy. They came hard, looking to smash things. The unrelenting pressure right the middle took Penix out of rhythm. He was missing throws he normally makes. Not having 7 healthy doomed them.