"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Can't hide money.

Volsdude, IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He has to spend it before his wife discovers parlays

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not directly related, but related.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Damn, how will all those AI authors survive?

justingroves and IP like this.
  5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I gotta hand it to SI, it’s been on its deathbed for 10 years and still hasn’t completely died

Until this, that should about do it

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I hate it for all of their writers, minus one.

VolDad likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Wasn’t the best business idea to put a trans person on the cover of SI swimsuit edition.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Maybe, but that was just a fist sized hole punched in the side of the sinking Titanic. Didn't do anything to speed it up or prevent from slowing it down.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, print media like newspapers and magazines was sinking long before that decision was made.

10. Ssmiff

yeah I know. Seemed it was the last thing standing for them as you still had people who bought that edition every year since they were like 13 years old who decided not to anymore.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You think that's a hot take? Here's a hot take: being principally known for their annual swimsuit issue was the real beginning of the end. "Swimsuit" isn't a sport.

A-Smith likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Swimsuit issue never interested me beyond water fountain conversation at school. By the time I was an adult, I forgot about it. It surprised me to learn a few years back (maybe more than just a few) that it was still a thing.

VOLinDAWGland, justingroves and IP like this.
  13. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I vote putting old ladies and fat girls in the swimsuit issue was much worse.

justingroves and BleedOrange12 like this.
  14. Ssmiff

think a couple people over there may have intentionally made bad decisions to take them down.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It seems like they had people in charge that didn't really like sports. Dead-ass. Like they thought that was boring, but exploring body positivity or identity stuff was what people buying Sports Illustrated yearned for. I'm not commenting on those issues substantively, it just seems not suited for the venue.

justingroves likes this.
  16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Can’t imagine what it’s like not being able to appreciate a MILF. Leonardo DiCaprio might be the only one who truly knows.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Not with that attitude.

19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Hey hey hey. Don’t think that I can’t appreciate a MILF or a curvaceous lady, but where I come from the SI swimsuit issue was reserved for only the best of the best in their absolute prime. Talkin 99 mph heat on the black. The second they got away from that, they were done.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Exactly. We don't demand that the unathletic dude with a gut and a bum leg gets in the NFL.

Or as Bill Burr said:

"How can I compete with her?" [Speaking as a woman looking at a billboard with a drop dead model]

"YOU CANT LADY! I can't compete with Brad Pitt! I know my place as a pale white dude with no hair!"

HCKevinSteele and justingroves like this.