POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We are retiring so many people at my job it is weird. My VP just announced her retirement.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It'll speed up automation. I bet I could land two contracts right now with some rudimentary drop in OCR to do nothing more than scan some forms and put the text in a database.

Because people still do this as a job... read forms, type values in form boxes into some digital application.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

What if we tried saddling younger people with insane debts, make housing and healthcare unaffordable, and suppress immigration? Do you think that might help encourage families or improve the labor shortage?

Daddy Gee likes this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think we're only a few years away from having a lot more options.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You would be surprised at how many people are still living off of the stimulus and their tax return. In really poor areas some people really know how to stretch that money and prefer to do so instead of work. I think next year will be a different story though.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Such people aren't massively impacting the work force.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

In some areas they are but I agree as a whole I don't think they probably are.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had a buddy in high school whose dad "worked in construction," but didn't actually work more than 2 months of the year. He could stretch a dollar, and it was borderline criminal what that does to a family in such an extreme case.

justingroves likes this.
  9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The town my wife grew up in has so many people that do that. It's sad and crazy

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think the tight labor market is largely accelerating retirements and lack of migration (season and temp workers as well as many many international students). Also I think the child care angle is still weighing in with COVID still doing it’s thing.

1.8% of the workforce retired last year - nearly 3 MM Americans. 15 years ago that was 250-500k a year. In a normal year now it is 1.75 MM. Structural headwinds given our demographics for the labor pool met COVID and resulted in some really strong headwinds.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I called it months ago. This is the goal. No discussion of history relating to race. No civil rights discussion. Erasure.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The goal of whom?

I think CRT (not the literal theory itself, but the offshoots of it that I've explained here in the past) is being taught in K-12 schools. I don't think it should be. My goal, however, is not to completely eliminate or erase discussion of history relating to race/civil rights. It's probably the goal of some, but to assign that to the overarching group who opposes CRT, as you seem to be doing, is inaccurate, imo.

I also don't think the texts listed in that tweet fall into what I would consider CRT. Hopefully the request gets shut down, should they refile it based on the current school year.

The only part that really stands out to me is that they are second graders. It's been quite a while since I've been in second grade, but it seems a little... early... to be super focused on the Civil Rights movement. Is that normal material for that age group? And for how long has it been normal?

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is exactly the intention, which is why the law is written as a vague "I'll know it when I see it" concept. CRT controversy is the biggest canard I've seen in the never ending quest to morph school ideology into pro-American propaganda rather than developing critical thinking skills towards these topics.

And, yes, 2nd graders are certainly capable of understanding the March on Washington and the Civil Rights Movement. It's far better than giving kids the happy version of American history only for the need to undo this Pollyanna conception to note the reality is more complex than the story they were sold.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If I wasn’t taught who Martin Luther King was and what he did in 2nd grade, it wasn’t long after

And that was 30 years ago

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My kids started learning about him in first grade

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I won an I Have a Dream speech contest in first grade

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fair enough. I wasn't really questioning whether 2nd graders should know who MLK is. I was questioning how much of the depth of the Civil Rights movement a second grader could truly grasp.

I don't know how you all remember what you were taught in individual grades 20+ years ago. I barely remember what I ate for dinner last night.

18. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Probably need to see a doctor sounds like you may have CRS

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Obviously landed on his head when he got tackled by that kicker

SetVol13 likes this.
  20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I only remember the stuff they really tried to indoctrinate me with.