POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Founding Fathers? Invoking those guys usually means people project what they think their perspective is without really knowing. Voting was significantly different in the 1700s and we certainly don't want to go back to what they were doing in that era.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Uni, 2% of americans dont have a cell. If one can buy a cell online, at the store or go pay cash for an IP burner phone, and continue to pay the bill, they can get an ID.

3. Unimane

Set aside the veracity of this statistic and argument of accessibility for a moment, why should they be required to do any of this if there are multiple states who do not require an ID and have no issues with voting? Theoretically, you can create any series of various hoops which people can still vote, but why make it more cumbersome than absolutely necessary? I mean, I could argue you're not correct in your assertion here, but, to me, it's irrelevant. You need to make a case as to why they are necessary before you make a case as to their accessibility.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just went to the DMV Tuesday. I made the appointment 6 weeks ago and it took 3 hours. Also, guess what parts of a state have the highest wait times and lowest access?

Answer me this: what ID do you think was carried in the late 1700's and early 1800's?

As far as your accents question, do you think everyone suddenly started talking differently in 1776? WTF? You are unintentionally [uck fay]ing your argument by invoking how voting worked at the founding: only white males, no ID.

5. Ssmiff

My argument is its my opinion you should be able to ID yourself when casting a vote. Pretty sure if Trump won by getting 10 million more votes from unidentified voters, you'd agree

6. Unimane

Then you would be pretty wrong. My position, before and after the election, has been consistent and unchanging.

7. Unimane

You realize your access and experience at the DMV may be different than others, right?

8. Ssmiff

Ok. Agree to disagree on the subject

9. Ssmiff

So? And I've waited before. Other people too good to wait? If they don't have an ID, they probably aren't working, so they should have time. Skip the burner phone or Apple store and go wait like everybody else.

10. Unimane

Are you guessing what you think is happening or do you know? It sounds like you are simply applying your own experiences to other people's lives, thinking it should work for them the way it does for you. But, their reality isn't the same reality as yours. If someone has to wait while you don't, that is inherently an unequitable situation for a right you equally share with one another. It's easy to say "well, they can wait" if it's not you having to wait. But, some people don't have the time to wait. Plenty of people work without an ID, so your statement "if they don't have an ID, they probably aren't working" is merely an assumption of something you think is happening, but don't really know.

You seem to have a generally inability to place yourself in the position of others beyond the context of your own eyes and experiences. "Well, if I can do it, so can they" is not really a good measure.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I really want to hear about voter IDs in the late 18th century. Did they have wood etchings of themselves? oil portraits?

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also would like to hear about how the accents changed such that some were now suspiciously British sounding and others not, in the 1780's.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Actually, accents changed in Britain, not in the USA.

IP likes this.
  14. Unimane

Interestingly enough, getting a firm grip on the variations in accents between the colonies and the British mainland in the 1700s has been more difficult than one might imagine. It's quite likely the British accent has actually changed more than the American accent. The southern accent didn't really seem to develop until the 1800s, either. But, I digress.

15. Ssmiff

Here we go. No I just don't care for excuses. My mom is 87, wheelchair bound and finds a way. If you choose to allow any excuse as to why someone can't spend a day getting an ID, that's your choice. The excuse crowd room is packed, but always room for more.
    As far as not working if no ID, for the nth time, you can't have basic life essentials without one, unless you just don't want to be taxed, tracked and work with cash only. Can't have a bank acct. Cant cash a check, not even at a cash advance store. Can't even cash a Gov check or stimulus without one.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

My understanding is that Americans today sound more like the British of the 1700's than the British do now. Further, Shakespearean spoken English sounds closer to American speech than modern British speech, though still distinct.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, Smiff is usually wrong in his assumptions.

18. Unimane

Again, your experience isn't the same as others' experience. Just because you can't conceive of these things does not mean they aren't real.

19. Ssmiff

You are making it about me for whatever reason. Maybe because you have no response for my points in regards to how one cashes checks without an ID. Has nothing to do with my experience. Answer the question. Or dont

20. Unimane

There's not as much scholarship or understanding on the subject as I thought there might be, seemingly due to a lack of resources. I've understood the colonial accent actually sounded a bit more like the modern Irish accent than anything and immigrant influences, particularly German, sorted of molded the accent more in the 1800s.