POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is how voter IDs became a thing. It's a strategic mistake because it will enshrine the ability to discriminate against black people. As predicted in 2013, we are just going backwards. It is now considered to be partisan opinions that everyone has a right to vote and everyone should vote.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Spitballing...

I would not be disappointed to see somebody smacks down the old conservative white legislators.

Is it true that even with the changes that States like Delaware are more restrictive?

Is this the Biden Administration weaponizing the AG and Justice Dept. I thought that was supposed to be a bad thing?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

From what I understand, there are indeed northern states that are also very restrictive, to an extent that is beyond what I would consider is fair but slanted against other demographics. It is why we need a comprehensive voter's rights act.

I don't think so, because overall the AG and Justice Dept are not going after a lot of things the Administration would wish them to. Remember, the Justice Department is continuing to argue that Trump is immune to that one lady's civil suit because his statements were made while in office. Which is ludicrous.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t see why they couldn’t just count wheel turns. You’d have to account for tire size.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Requiring ID should not be a issue and calling it a racial deal is bullshit. You can't do much of anything without an ID. Cant get paid. Cant buy alcohol. Cant drive. Cant pay rent. Cant get phone hooked up. Cant get a cell. Cant buy a ticket to a game. Cant collect $ from govt. Cant get utilities hooked up. Ridiculous

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure if you are capable of internalizing that none of the things you listed is a right, or that it creates the opportunity for shenanigans where some people in some locations do not have equal access or availability to getting IDs. Well, that's not true. I am sure you will not even consider it. Because your personal experience is all that matters.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Which is the difference between a right and a privilege.

You have a right to free speech, which means you don't have to have an ID to stand on the corner and protest government.

If voting is a right, you don't need an ID. If voting is a privilege, you do.

There is a segment of the population that considers voting a right, not to be infringed.

8. Ssmiff

Insult, insult, blah blah. People have Id's or can get them.. You literally can't receive a dime or hook up electricity without them. Gut feeling is some don't want it required because it would make fraud easier.
    But play the race card as you wish. Obviously growing up where you did, you have great experience with diversity

9. Ssmiff

Almost 98% of Americans 18+ have a cell. Tell me how you get one without identification

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not an insult. You only think your perspective is important. That's been made abundantly clear by you. Look what you just said: "growing up where you did..." Dude, how many different places did you live in before you were 18? How about after? You have no idea about my experience with diversity, not that I am claiming such or relying on any in what I am saying. It is how you can rationalize dismissing my perspective: you think you have greater experience with diversity than I do. Based on... what? Your experience. Which is all that matters for you. See? Not an insult. An observation which anyone can make.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You completely ignored the response to this which is “voting is a right, owning a cell phone isn’t”

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm still waiting on the first bit of evidence where states requiring no ID, and there are quite a few of them, has resulted in any form of voter fraud of consequence. It's all theoretical, but useful, because it is well known by those who craft these laws black voters, i.e. likely Democrats, have much higher rates of living without IDs (and have less access to IDs in many instances) and they can frame these laws in terms of "vote integrity".

Voting is a right and, as such, should be as unencumbered and accessible as reasonably possible and done equitably so.

13. Ssmiff

I listed quite a few life things that require ID or ss#. You had no decent rebutted, so made it about me. I didn't. You did. Twice.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a complete tangent since phones are not a right, but as to your question here: Easily? You have never heard of a burner phone, for example?

1. Convert cash to gift card/prepaid card
    2. buy prepaid phone plan and phone

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I did rebutt, none of those are rights. You also are mistaken that some of them require ID/SS#. Or are you saying you don't think illegal immigrants can have cell phones?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, it's been 30 seconds, I guess Smiff has no rebuttal. Victory. That's now how this works, I guess.

17. Ssmiff

What % of the population do you believe has no way to drive, get electricity, get a cell, get a landlines? You are making an argument about something not being argued. Is voting a right if one can't identify themselves? Since when?

18. Ssmiff

So a person has the ability to pay cash for a burner phone or prepaid plan, but cant pay for an ID. Makes a lot of sense

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are phone shops and online shippers galore. There is a 6 week backup at the DMV which will take 3 hours once you get there and require many documents that can be difficult to have if you do not have a long term fixed residence. That enfringes on your RIGHT to vote. It's not just a money thing.

20. Ssmiff

I just went to the dmv with my son. There wasn't a 6 week backup and it didn't take 3 hours. I hear excuses. If you want your right to vote, be able to identify yourself. Don't believe the founding fathers intended for those who can't ID themselves to have the right. Or maybe they didn't care if the British stood in line with Northern accents and voted? We have no idea who you are or where you are from, but sign here and vote....
    What % of the population do you really think cant ID themselves?