The Bring Back Bruce Crowd...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by MettaWorldPeace, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Is out in full force tonight. I've taken shot after shot for Cuonzo, but he really messed up by not hiring an offensive mind onto the staff while he had the chance. Granted it's only the first game, but this team has no offensive identity at all. McRae is the team leader, but had large chunks of the game without going noticed. I guess those that have been praising Jarnell Stokes' new and improved conditioning can take a seat, too. As usual, he can't accomplish much against decent competition.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's hard to accomplish much when you're sitting on the bench carrying BS fouls. But yeah, he didn't have a good night. However, to be fair he's had some good nights against decent competition.

It would help the offense so much to have a real PG.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

And the Bring Back Bruce crowd...well, they're idiots anyway.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Barton did fine at PG. Our problem is scheme, not PG play.

5. MettaWorldPeace

That's how the games are going to be this year, unfortunately. Instead of using it as a disadvantage, I would slam it inside every possession to the Tennessee posts and foul out every interior player the opponent has to offer. After that, let McRae drive to the bucket and get to the line. I'm as pissed about tonight's results as I am these stupid emphasized foul calls. I guess the ADD Nation, as Hat calls them, have won out on this one. Good defense is no longer rewarded.

6. MettaWorldPeace

I'm beginning to think that, too. The point guard is being handicapped in Cuonzo's offense.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You've got to play to the strengths more. Maymon is not a back to the basket player, never has been. You've got to get him looks at the high post and set up high-lows to Stokes and park the shooters in the corners.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

He didn't play badly. I just think a guy that got in the lane and created would help. Especially with the scheme lacking.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

[video=youtube;wLhAutASqfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLhAutASqfc[/video]

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

We don't feed the post, we don't play 2 and 3 man games with the posts inside (both of which are good passers), we don't attack the basket with regularity (McCrae is the only player who seems to be able to beat his man off the dribble), we make stupid lazy passes, we waste a good portion of the shot clock dicking around with perimeter passing that have no real looks inside and we continually take bad shots. We couldn't even make free throws tonight and it wasn't till close to half time that Cuonzo finally got his guy to quit taking deep shots. Watching his lack of offense is irritating as hell.

11. MettaWorldPeace

If recollection serves, I think the person that made this video is the same person who protested with a sign reading, "Dimond in the Rough."

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We missed a lot of shots that we should be making too.

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Nah that sign was something about why would you want a dimond when you already have a pearl or something. This is the guy who is known for his Tyler Bray Our God is an Awesome God video.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No. We took about 30 shots we shouldn't ever take.

15. MettaWorldPeace

Not sure why you should ever take contested jumpers when you have two of the more experienced, stronger players in the SEC camped out in the post.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I recall seeing a number of missed shots under or right around the basket.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Where a guy went up with authority, like, you know, a decently coached player would do every once in a while?

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

At times, yes. I just remember seeing a number of missed shots and thinking "wtf? How did he miss that?"

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Who gathered pumped and went up with bad intentions? I rarely see it from this team.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not saying we are well coached. I'm simply saying we didn't shoot well and missed a number of easy opportunities. FTs were awful too.