The Final Frontier: All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

should have done so a long time ago.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

All it taught me was that Q is Wesley Crusher, and the Prime Directive is inhumane.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was referencing the final line of the show, but it looks like you are 1/2 on your lessons. The Q aren't the only higher beings out there, and the prime directive is definitely questionable.

4. fl0at_

I know you were. I was still commenting on what it got me to complete the series.

Onward and etc.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Have you ever watched Enterprise? There is a couple of good "prime directive" type episodes, but before there was one, that drive home the dubious morality of it and also the unintended consequences of not having it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, Janeway on Voyager ignores and invokes the prime directive purely as convenient. It's total bullshit.

7. fl0at_

I'm going in orderish. I'm on deep space 9 now, but it's going to take a long time to get through low def television...

I lasted 15 minutes of episode 1.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

don't worry, ds9 gets really really good after the first couple seasons

10SEvols and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Janeway is coming back in a children's show voiced by Kate Mulgrew.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

DS9 is a lot of people's favorite series. Based on rumors and such, the production team frequently told the folks controlling Trek properties to sod off a good bit. IP is right. It changes a lot after the first couple of seasons and is darker and more military oriented than any Star Trek production except a season or two of Enterprise and the much more recent Discovery. It also deviates a good bit from the standard formula at times which makes some trekkies hate it.

Oh, and yeah that low def thing can be a challenge. We are currently re-watching the series as a break from making our way through the Arrowverse shows, and the production quality difference is drastic.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw that, I plan on checking it out as a grown-ass man.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They did indeed tell folks controlling Trek properties to sod off at times. They basically said do your things with the Next Gen movies and with Voyager. We're doing something a little different. In the end, it really fleshed out the world a lot which is funny since it was the only show based from a stationary location.

warhammer likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Stick with it. It used to be my least favorite, but only because I stopped watching it, live, about half way through season 2.

After watching it bout 10 times through on Netflix, it is now my favorite of the series.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Roddenberry croaked so ds9 didn’t have to make everyone perfect. He believed everyone in the future will basically be perfect and no one will have selfish motivations and everyone will work towards the greater good which is of course ridiculous. This is why no one for Star Trek had real money till the end of tng. The only people allowed to be self motivated are non humans. Once he died the people that took over loosened his restrictions

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, suddenly they could deal with how a utopia homeworld can still be unsatisfying or a liability, and that you still need ways to barter as an individual

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Also why the last couple seasons of tng actually allow pickard to be human and imo are among the best seasons. I’ve tried to watch enterprise many times and I just find it awful. Voyager is ok and I’ve watched it, but doesn’t hold up to tng or ds9 or even the original series

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah the first couple of seasons can be somewhat boring.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

seasons 1 and 2 are tough for enterprise. season 3 is worth it though, as it is like a season long arc set up by the first 2. 4 is also good, but weirdly season 3 of enterprise is as good as almost any season of trek, despite 1 and 2 being weak as hell.

droski likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

enterprise season 5 was to be a romulan war season arc. bummer it got cancelled, but you can't put a show on UPN and expect it to grow

droski likes this.
  20. fl0at_

It isn't unrealistic. If the basic needs are solved, what's left.

Look at humans even today, a few hundred years ago, rape and pillaging was a part of war.

Now that is even considered barbaric. Even in war. Which is still war.