The Get Ben Howland's Phone Number Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Dec 18, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

What does that say about the guys who have been finishing behind him? Arizona could use your sage advice to tell them it's time to fire Sean Miller.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

We probably still are. They got their asses handed to them by a Minnesota team that shouldn't have even been in the tournament, and who then promptly got their asses handed to them in the second round.

3. hatvol96

Yeah, because losing your most productive player never has any effect on a team.

4. hatvol96

Sean Miller has missed the tournament two times in four seasons at Arizona. Bum.

5. kidbourbon

I'm not gonna let you put words in my mouth. Talk to this guy.
    [​IMG]

6. kidbourbon

See above.

7. kidbourbon

They lost by 20. It's a huge stretch to speculate they would have won the game in the absence of an injury, something coaches have to deal with all the time. I know this a huge stretch, you know this a huge stretch, freaking Marsellus knows it's a huge stretch.

8. hatvol96

You are the one acting as if missing the tournament twice in five years is compelling evidence of coaching incompetence. I'm just making sure we know which schools are making a mistake by retaining their coaches.

9. kidbourbon

I'm looking at career trajectory.

10. hatvol96

They wouldn't have been playing Minnesota, because it's more than likely they would have won the PAC 12 Tournament with Adams. That probably gets them the seed an Arizona team they beat out in the regular season got and rode to the Sweet 16. Oregon also made the Sweet 16. You act as if Howland was coaching in a league as bad as the SEC last year.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I like Rick Byrd but the guy has been at Belmont close to 30 years so I guess he's happy staying there. Also not sure how well he would recruit at a bigger program.

12. kidbourbon

It was better than the SEC last year, which isn't saying much, but it was worse than the SEC the year before, which is saying something. I'd have to look it up to go back further.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Isn't this the same transitive theory error which you've faulted others for in football debates?

14. kidbourbon

I don't believe so. I'm using Minny's second round results as evidence that they weren't very good at basketball. Much more evidence of that exists, but I didn't want to derail the thread.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

single game sample size?

16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Billy D missed the tourney in back-to-back years as well after winning his titles... guess he wouldn't be good enough for UT either.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

You saying Westbrook and Love are HOFers?

18. kidbourbon

Again, would you like more evidence that Minny sucked last year?

8-10 in conference play.
    Lost to Iillinois in the first round of the B10 tourney
    Lost 12 of their last 18 games.

Is that enough?

19. kidbourbon

You make some pretty terrible strawman arguments.

20. hatvol96

Howland's mistake was in beginning to give credence to the adidas/AAU crowd who championed the recruitments of guys like Reeves Nelson and Shabazz Muhammad.