The Grinch (UTK) Stole Christmas

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by RockyHill, Dec 3, 2015.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can't believe we have people sitting around thinking of ways to avoid exposing people to Christmas stuff. You'd have to go live in a tent in the woods for a solid 75 days to avoid Christmas.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

They had me at calling for Cheek's resignation.

4. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Should be fun to watch the uproar that alumni/alumnae bring down on UT.

I'll post this here for when they take it down and deny it.

[​IMG]

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Look at the Yale thing. Gotta protect them from anything that might be taken as offensive or they might throw a hissy.

6. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Goodbye, you pathetic piece of trash. I hope your retirement sucks and you live to be 120 years old with constant diarrhea. What do you know about "political correctness", moron? You're the same worthless, four-eyed, lesbian lookin' idiot that ate a booger on national television. I hope you have no family and friends and are confined to a windowless room for the rest of your life. Good riddance and happy holidays!

7. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I will say this, as a UT employee:

yeah, i think it's stupid. that being said, i would've heard literally NOTHING about this without all this reaction. it's policy for nobody. virtually nobody cares what comes out of that office.

It's frustrating that it's been presented as something that's come down From On High at UT.

i reiterate, as a UT employee, i would've heard absolutely nothing about this had it not been for all the OUTRAGE

That being said, it's a shame that we're all paying people to produce this garbage.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This isn't long after these dumbasses tried to foist the genderless pronouns on us.

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I still can't believe people fall into the trap of getting upset by this stuff. This is a list some GA making $9/hr wrote because he needed something to do, on a website that's probably hyperlinked at the very bottom of the UT homepage in size 8 font. This is the equivalent of a really bad editorial in the student newspaper.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

My thing is this: their "tips" are contradictory and impractical. They're essentially demanding that employees be devoid of culture.

Can I demand someone remove their crucifix or yamaka? Of course not. I can get behind a reminder to be tolerant and accepting of various beliefs during one's holiday/Christmas party. That's great. Expecting everyone to show up like robots with no culture is antithetical to the concept of a "holiday." They know that "holiday" literally comes from "holy day," right? You can't have a holiday party devoid of anything someone might find holy, sacred, or culturally significant. I'm saying this as an atheist. Why can't people relax? These holidays coming up don't represent anything inflammatory or controversial. If Hanukah is offensive, so is July 4th. Christmas is more than the observance of the birth of Christ, it's a western tradition of a time of charity, compassion, and family. It has roots going back before Christianity. Why not teach each other about holidays and culture, rather than being told to hide it or pretend it doesn't exist? Compelling someone to follow a religion is immoral, holidays themselves are not.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Can't spell OUTRAGE without UT.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Very well stated. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion a bit, but they blew their suggestions. You nailed it in the second sentence; be mindful of others' cultures/beliefs during celebrations. Suggesting people become generic holiday zombies is dumb as hell.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup.

Just gets old when diversity becomes code for don't offend anyone.

Cue the first season of South park Christmas eipsode. It summed it up best 18 years ago.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

But this shit is offensive, paradoxically. I've never been offended by a work place Christmas party, but telling me no one is allowed to reference or observe any cultural or religious belief is quite offensive.

16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I wonder what he'll do if some AA students want to have a Kwanzaa celebration.....

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. Savage Orange

I plan to celebrate Kwanzaa by beating a couple of women with electrical cords and maybe a toaster.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh, long as that's consensual I guess.

20. Savage Orange

It worked for Maulana Karenga, the founder of Kwanzaa... We'll sort of.... That stretch in prison wasn't very festive.