The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pretty entertaining. Any movie that chicks love and I find entertaining is definitely worth seeing on a date.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I enjoyed it. The main chick was hot.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm married so I will not have to see it.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Funny, the opposite applies in my case.

6. tankervol

tankervol Member

I'm married and I had to go see it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha i'm in tankervol's camp unfortunetely. i'm hoping at least i can wait till it's available on PPV. i truly hate going to the theater these days.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, the dude behind me was coughing his ass off. Pretty sure I went home with some pieces of his lung in the back of my hair. Not really worth putting up with other people's shit and paying extra just to have a bigger screen.

9. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

I've been going to early Saturday matinees and early afternoon showings lately.

I went to the 3:30 showing of HG last Friday and there were only about 30 people in the theatre.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I finally saw this. Thought it was quite good and better than most of the stuff I am forced to suffer through.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I read the books. I saw the movie. My wife did both as well. I thought the film came up short in some areas. My wife may have been a bit more harsh in her criticism.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope it wasn't because of all the black characters.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nah, I know how it ends for all of them.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I saw the movie, and I read the books on a very long car trip.

The movie wasn't bad, but I didn't really like the second and third books.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

The movie was pretty good. Probably going to start reading the books. That said, the real entertainment came from the row behind ours as some woman decided the movie theater was the best place to hone up on her fellatio skills. Funniest part was when they refused to leave after the managers kicked them out and the cops showed up. The guy actually had the audacity to ask if he was going to get his money back since he was being kicked out. I can't make this stuff up, I'm not creative enough.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I thought the movie had some good changes, but it probably needed to clarify some things.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well are you at least going to let her finish what she started?

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The second book was okay, but the first half was emotional candy for a large section of the audience (I'm not sure how said portion of the audience enjoyed the emotional development and didn't spend the time trying to do physical violence to a fictional character, but whatever). It picked up once they got back in the arena.

The third book started out with some serious promise, bringing back the media themes with the revolution, pitting a pair of dystopias against each other. There was a lot of good story there. And then it stopped. And then some people died and the book ended. I can't overstate how badly that book tanked at the end. It was like the Tennessee football team against Oregon. Or Arkansas. Or Alabama (2010 or 2011). Or LSU (2011).

The movie was a pretty good adaptation of the first book. I only had a couple complaints, which is pretty low for a book adaptation. And subbing the riot for the District 11 bread came off quite well.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

To be honest, I feel like Collins is an average writer who had an interesting idea.

To compare, I'm not a crazy Harry Potter fan, but I think Rowling is a much better writer.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That's probably fair to say. I was very, very impressed with the idea, but I don't remember being wowed or disappointed by the writing itself (then again, I read them all in about two hours each). I will say with confidence that she has no idea how to write an ending. She covered up not knowing how to end book one by dangling a possibility of a sequel. She covered up not knowing how to end book two by just turning it into part one of said sequel instead of an independent story. And then book three came along and she looked really lost.