The Ice Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Joseph Brant, Feb 16, 2014.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Joel Quenneville gone

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

What a mess. They get what they had coming

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Good.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  4. Joseph Brant

Adam Fox's ability to create layup goals is just stupid.

5. chef65

chef65 Contributor

observations from my first trip to Gaylord in over a decade:

First I need a ticket. Easy right? I miss the days of having a proper ticket stub but at least I can print my ticket and have the sheet of paper. Nope, [uck fay] you, here’s a technocratic maze dependent on having the latest smartphone. After lodging a complaint on the voicemail of some guy in New York I accepted my fate and managed to perfect the process at home but my thirty dollar walmart Xr71blah android couldn’t connect to the right wifi at the arena. I ended up with a physical record of my attendance signed by myself and an employee of the predators. All’s well that ends well.

We played the team I predicted to win the cup preseason so I spent warmups watching their skill guys ice level. I even said hi to an official NHL suit wearing official as he carefully strolled to his post.

Damn twenty bucks for a double shot. What the hell I’ll end up spending 60.

I make my seat just in time for the anthem thanks to years spent swiftly avoiding physical contact and social entrapment in school hallways, stadiums, and stores.

Game was meh but I learned the advantages of sitting near the logo on the first upper-deck row with no seat to my left. I managed to complete several non-intermission piss sessions without missing a second of action, plus the viewing experience with no one in front of you vs any other seat must be like real sex vs masturbation. IDK

After the game I decided to sober up by absorbing the spectacle of downtown. What a cluster. I naively spent too much time standing still taking it all in and was accosted by conmen and a lush. Next time I’ll have fake conversations on my phone and keep moving while simultaneously observing all I can. The only danger in this scenario is a girl catching me off guard and stray bullets. What could go wrong?

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Do you remember Andy coming up with a brilliant motivational tactic when he incentivized the Office by promising to get a tattoo if certain milestones were met?

It was surreal to see the instant transformational impact on everyone’s focus.

This game felt like that and if we keep it up my bank account will be dry.

7. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I don’t recognize this team.

8. chef65

chef65 Contributor

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Matt Duchene has clearly decided that he’s tired of catching all the bullshit

OneForVol likes this.
  10. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Either that or he decided he likes Nashville too much and doesn’t want to be traded.

11. Joseph Brant

Well he deserved a lot of it. And glad to see him do well.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Hell of a speech

13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Is it just me or do goalies across the league seem much more mortal?

14. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Highlights from this era of the Predators are scarce but I found this clip which includes a memorable overtime goal from Peter Forsberg assisted by Kariya. I bring this up because I haven’t experienced as much childlike joy watching hockey since that ‘07 team.

15. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I want Forsberg with Tolvanen eventually. There will be no set line hierarchy and ice time will be determined nightly.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Kariya still owns the Preds’ single season record for points and assists in a season. Some of their best offensive play came from his two years with the team. They were the top two scoring Preds’ teams ever, and by a lot, until the 2017-18 season. Now they’re #1 and #3.

chef65 likes this.
  17. Joseph Brant

Rangers in a bind with Blais done for the season, I enjoyed his game. Kakko seems to be picking it up playing with Panarin and Strome (funny how letting young skill players play with good players makes them play well).

Shesterkin is better than I could have hoped and I've been talking him up for years now. We may just be able to make some noise in the tournament. Not thrilled with having a 2002 styled "checking line" but having Reavo around isn't the worst thing in the world sometimes.

18. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Fox seems like a right handed Lidstrom.

Hynes is a moron.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You know, the Preds have mostly just been okay this year but they have, after tonight:

Granlund 25PTS in 22GP
    Duchene 24PTS in 22GP
    Josi 20PTS in 22GP
    Johansen 18PTS in 22GP
    Forsberg 15PTS in 12GP

Most other years, Johansen is almost certainly leading the team in points

This year he’s 4th with Forsberg, who has played 10 less games, right on his heels

Joseph Brant likes this.
  20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Flames seem to be off to a solid start this year. I think this is an anomaly, no? The house we are renting here has a bedroom decorated in all hockey logos with a flames scoreboard hanging down for a light fixture. My youngest daughter got it and so far has said she likes it - mainly the logos.