The Indy Talks To Himself (NBA) Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah the nba egos getting yelled at by Hurley very likely a bad mix unless you handpick your team of players who respond well to it.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As most have stated, the decision probably has more to do with this particular coach's style and whether it would translate to a professional league.

Also worth mentioning that the Lakers didn't exactly back up the Brinks truck to his doorstep. Their offer was allegedly very similar to what UK offered him. It's a shitload of money either way, but it's not like he turned down becoming the highest paid coach in the NBA or anything.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just saying they specifically cited his exit from college to the pros as evidence of how the college game is so bad now. And then he didn't go.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fair enough. I didn't see that anywhere, but I also wasn't looking for it (not questioning you, just saying).

I honestly never really felt good about the Hurley to the Lakers stuff. Lots of people were talking about it as if it was a done deal, which I thought was really weird. To me, it always felt like the "Welp, we tried!" excuse before hiring the guy with 0 head coaching experience.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup. Plus in a couple of more years they are theoretically going to have some really, really good young talent.

6. CardinalVol

27th anniversary of the Flu game, aka Food Poisoning Game, aka MJ went too hard in Vegas the night before Game.

justingroves likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Some speculation that the Lakers may continue pursuing college coaches. Some have thrown around Nate Oats, but would the Lakers really pay $18 million to Bama plus his salary to get him? I can’t see that.

Would be pretty funny for them to poach Cal from Arkansas before he coaches a game. He has been an NBA coach before…

9. CardinalVol

Depends on how desperate they get. The Buss family has massive egos all the way around.

Cal would be beyond hilarious.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They're cheap. If they were going to pay big bucks for a coach, they should have just paid Hurley.

The whole situation basically shows how much of a dumpster fire the front office is:
    • They had a chance to hire Ty Lue (IN 2019 FOR [uck fay]S SAKE) but low balled him because he was "LeBron's guy"

• They hired Frank Vogel instead, and Bron/AD carried him to a title
    • Then they fired him 2 seasons later as a sacrifice for the Russ debacle
      • Vogel deserved at least a portion of the blame for not being able to utilize him effectively, but the front office brought him in and traded away the core
    • Then they hired Darvin Ham, a guy with ZERO NBA head coaching experience, and, to no one's surprise, he stood around with his hands in his pockets and couldn't draw up a play out of a timeout to save his [uck fay]ing life.

• And now here they are, 2 seasons later, after firing Ham, strongly considering guys with no NBA coaching or head coaching experience, and lowballing Dan Hurley
    Just a dumpster fire of an organization. They might have 2-3 titles at this point if they had just hired Ty Lue and approached LeBron's arrival as if they'd have him in solid form for the next 6-8 years rather than the next 2-4.

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah Luka flopping on both ends and whining while laying on the court and not hustling back led to momentum shift and points for Boston in the 4th. I like Luka but that shit was embarrassing.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I’m still processing, tbh. It’s been a weird finals.

I’m somewhere between

“yeah, Luka’s defense could be better,”

“they can’t expect him to be their entire offense AND guard Tatum/Brown effectively, especially not while obviously injured,”

and

“I feel weird holding Luka accountable so strongly while Tatum (the other superstar) is up 3-0 in the finals while playing pretty poorly across the board.”

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I do feel confident that this series puts the LeBron/Luka comparisons to bed. LeBron was elite defensively at Luka’s age.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I also feel confident saying that this playoffs has continued to prove that the NBA is all about matchups.

Minnesota was a bad matchup for Denver. Dallas was a bad matchup for Minnesota. The Celtics look like a bad matchup for Dallas.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Luka slander is out of control.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What a boring NBA finals. Wolves/Nuggets really was the peak this season. Pretty much all downhill from there.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Jaylen Brown Finals MVP.

lol