The Indy Talks To Himself (NBA) Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Shaq averaged 20 points a game and led the NBA in field goal percentage in '05-'06.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

droski, I fear your penchant for factual errors is hurting your cause.

3. netnvol

netnvol Member

4. hatvol96

5. netnvol

netnvol Member

Wade played out of his mind that series but my God, anyone making the assertion that Shaq was a non factor didn't watch or doesn't remember.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hard to do research on the phone. The point stands that shaq didn't show up in multiple games in that finals. Arguing wade won because of shaq is preposterous. Just as it is that Scottie Pippen would have has a prayer of winning that championship with the same supporting cast.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He was a factor in what 2 wins? Compare that to the championships with Kobe

8. hatvol96

He had 12 plus rebounds in each of the final three games. Keep digging.

9. netnvol

netnvol Member

Shaq's numbers in Miami's four wins in the 2006 Finals: Game Three - 16 pts/11 reb/5 asst/2 blk, Game Four - 17 pts/13 reb/3 asst/2 blk, Game Five - 18 pts/12 reb/2 stl, Game Six - 9 pts/12 reb. It was D Wade's show but Shaq was definitely a factor.

Was he equivalent to 2000 Shaq? Hell no, but what else in the history of the NBA has been? You could argue Chamberlain or Abdul-Jabbar maybe (Olajuwon is my favorite center ever btw), but I don't think anything comes close to Shaq in his prime in terms of sheer physical dominance. He had slowed down mightily by 2005-2006 but he wasn't washed-up yet.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Bastard single handedly beat the Pacers.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone want to look how Pippen did the seasons without Jordan? All-star MVP, led the Bulls in every statistical category (only the second time that had ever happened)?

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Don't know why, but this reminds me of how much I hate Ron Harper and how much I love Bill Winnington.

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

"He averaged, what, 6 points a game? Didn't he get cut?"

- droski

14. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

I was making an observation that the greatest players have the ability to force their bodies to overcome even the greatest challenges and I couldn't see that happening to other great players. Mark Jackson said he needs to find a way to push his body beyond the cramps.

Ftr, I've competed as a triathlete, cyclist and runner. I suck as an athlete and have gotten cramps where both legs seized and refused to move. I sympathize with what LeBron went through. But if he wants to be the greatest ever he's got to figure out a way to push past this issue.

15. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Pretty sure that affected the whole team because of the trainers mistake unlike LeBron who was the only one so severely affected by the heat. Even his own teammates said it wasn't ideal but not terrible.

16. hatvol96

Mark Jackson should be concerned with figuring out a way to push himself past being a shitty coach.

17. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

I'd take Wade over Pippen every day. Pippen was solid during the championship runs but let's not forget migraine Pippen (I know migraines are debilitating but issues are issues) and I don't want to be in the game for the last shot Portland Pippen. Wade has been a gamer his entire career. Their talent is about equal but you've never had to worry about Wade showing up.

Grant would eat Boshs lunch

18. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Lol

19. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

It would be interesting to see what Jordan could do today with the current hand checking rules. He'd get to the basket at will but it would definitely impact his defense. He was constantly doing that on defense. Imagine if LeBron could hand check at his size and strength. His defense would be ridiculous.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I love the way Tony Parker plays basketball.