The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Embarrasing, especially being on basic cable where you've got lots of folks watching who don't nornally watch.

What a joke.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ouch. Just watched the DVR. Really terrible.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Going to have to have the rematch in Manila.

4. halamadridista

halamadridista New Member

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Mayweather vs. McGregor

1.Who you got?
    2. Is it close?

My ignorant guess
    1. Mayweather
    2. Probably end up in a draw

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Has anybody ever landed a good shot on Mayweather?

I'm not a boxing aficionado, but I don't remember anyone being able to. The little bastard is good.

I think Mayweather dances around, let's McGregor wear himself out and wins a decision.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Mayweather will destroy him. If he survives first round, he shocks me.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Mayweather will eat his lunch. The only issue he'll have is that he's 40, but McGregor has no business in the ring with Money May.

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yawn.

Why is this a boxing match?

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Mayweather worked too hard for that 0 to give it up to a guy who's never had a professional fight.

This is a circus, and will be only as competitive as Floyd allows it to be.

I don't see McGregor getting KO'ed, but Floyd won't lose a round.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Prepare to be shocked.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

With as much money as this is generating they will likely want to do some crossover fight again. If Connor goes down in round 1, that would put a hurting on future earnings. Floyd hasn't knocked anyone out in forever, too. I think they'll try to make sure people get their money's worth.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I put on my cynical "it is rigged" hat on, I expect Connor to be "unable to continue due to injury", which if that occurs in the first 4 round means "no decision."

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Boy that would be the ultimate cash grab. Have a couple of late rounds where Connor appears to be getting the upper hand, then boom, he breaks a bone in his hand. Come back for the rematch in 6 months. Until then, we'll continue to jaw back and forth, build hype, and double our payday.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

His last knock out was pretty controversial too.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Mayweather is not a power puncher from what I understand. And McGregor is not a slow man. I expect it to go the distance, or late with McGregor getting tired and getting tko'd.

It will be interesting to see if McGregor can land a surprise punch early.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

McGregor isn't a boxer.

I don't see how, if the sport is as bent as is claimed, that anyone agrees to let an outsider go the distance.

I would think you would want the UFC guy thoroughly embarrassed.

If he goes toe to toe with Mayweather, even at his age, for an extended period of time, I don't see how anyone can maintain that in a reverse, that the boxer can last to the other level of physicality that goes beyond just taking punches on the chin.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think McGregor is going to try some weird angles for some liver shots for a ko. He's gonna get hit 10 times for every one of his. Easier to hit Mayweather there that the head. Try to get him in the corner and land a couple while taking some shots. Has Mayweather ever fought a guy with Conor's power on his short punches?

19. Unimane

Mayweather is shot. No wonder he went after an MMA guy. He won by wearing McGregor out.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  20. Unimane

I do think Floyd carried McGregor a bit, especially not throwing anything in the first three rounds, but he had little of the movement he normally has and his accuracy was average until McGregor got tired. He's 40 and shot. He needs to hang it up for good unless he wants to end up like Roy Jones, Jr. He'll always be a sore spot for me in that I think he manipulated the last 10 years of his career to preserve his undefeated record, like waiting out Pacquiao for five years. However, there's no denying his greatness and he's a top 20 fighter all-time, for sure.

McGregor was game and no one can deny his heart or effort. He came to fight. His inexperience showed, though. He was not prepared for the challenges of fighting 12 3 minute rounds since he's never had to do it. His stance was poor and punches had little power behind them. But, he lasted 9 1/2 rounds and got filthy rich for one hour of fighting, so he's way ahead, at this point.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017