The Official 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by BearCat204, Apr 10, 2012.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

It should be a one-game suspension.

But this dude ^ has gone straight off the reservation. Red Wings fan I'm guessing?

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It looked bad live. But the lack of injury seems to suggest that it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Several random ex-NHL commentator blah blah blah seem to think that it didn't warrant a suspension. FWIW.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

To me, that's dangerous enough to suspend but not as dangerous as skate stomping, for which the typical suspension is two games (see: Bobby Ryan, Jeff Skinner). I'd go one game. The Bertuzzi comparison is crazy.

But that's overshadowing a wonderful first night of the playoffs. Pens/Flyers go to OT, Preds get a big win over the Wings, Kings upset Vancouver? Heck yes.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'm a Preds fan but that was just stupid by Weber. Hell, the game was over, why risk suspension at that point? He could learn a thing or two from his teammate Mike Fisher on how to be smart in those situations and don't take the bait if something set him off. I think one game is a fair suspension here but it will suck if it is game 2 in Nashville since Detroit doesn't lose at home.

5. Tar Volon

Well, they don't have shootouts to bail them out anymore, so hopefully that last part will change.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Nashville beat Detroit in Detroit a couple weeks ago. It wasn't the playoffs, but they are as capable of winning there as Detroit is in Nashville.

Also, Shanahan has already reviewed the hit, we will know soon whether or not a suspension comes from it. Based on what guys like McKenzie and the Puck Daddy folks are saying, I think he ends up getting off without missing time. Not going to lie, I am concerned that without a suspension, they are setting this series up to get extremely ugly.

As for the game itself, I felt that both teams showed flashes of dominance at some point or another. Both PKs looked incredible, Rinne played out of his mind, so did Howard, and Gabriel Bourque was just on point. Nashville fans have to be a bit worried that it took some unbelievable saves to keep Detroit from scoring the second goal much earlier in the third. On the other hand, Detroit fans can't be liking that all of the goal production came from Nashville's bottom two lines.

Further, I feel bad for Darren Helm. Dude has been out forever, finally gets back and now will miss the playoffs with that freak cut to the forearm. On the Nashville injury front, it does appear that Gill will play Friday, so that's another positive for Nashville.

7. Tar Volon

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Shannahan evidently wasnt full of shit when he said that suspensions would not be as severe in the playoffs than they would be in the regular season. He said this back in March 2011

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Unbelievable. They just set a terrible precident. This series is about to get out of control.

11. Tar Volon

Definitely. In the regular season, I'm pretty sure this gets 1-2 games and no one complains much.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

As much as I don't want him out tomorrow, I dont even want to know what the penalty situation looks like after this. Refs are going to have quick triggers, and I won't be surprised to see someone get ejected early.

Still think he deserves a game, but as they mentioned, by Shanahan made it clear that the playoffs are different, so it was expected

13. NashVol11

Count me among the pleasantly surprised. Detroit can take their best shot, but they still have to win games. Weber is bigger than anyone on their team; he can handle himself. If they want to let their PMS get in the way of their focus, let them.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is why Pretatard fans are the best. There are several guys on the Detroit roster close enough in size and weight that this post is idiotic.

Bertuzzi and Gaustad are going to go at it at some point, but neither team is going to lose their focus.

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Bertuzzi is just about the same size as Weber and Ericsson is no little guy either

16. NashVol11

So your point is that Shea Weber will or should be afraid? Speaking of idiocy...

I'm all for them going out of their way to hurt Weber. It won't work, and dumbasses like you can continue whining about Steve Moore.

17. NashVol11

I didn't say there was no one close to his size, I said he could handle himself. Neither of those guys is going to intimidate him.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

and he's not going to intimidate anybody on the Detroit roster, hence the stupidity of that comment.

if you're going to come play with the adults you're going to need to keep up.

19. NashVol11

That's not the point. If anyone's planning on retaliation and intimidation, it's not Weber, genius.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator