The Reading Rainbow Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by chavisut, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think there are multiple that end up making a list like this one and it gets to personal taste at some point. We get stuck on this ridiculous list of "classics" because academia breeds that sort of approach to literature.

There are a mounds of exceptionally well done American novels. I have read Gatsby multiple times and just can't make myself enjoy the book. I'd prefer To Kill a Mockingbird if we're going to stick to lists of the "classics." I'd take most Jack London novels. Hell, I like SE Hinton's style better, it just happens to be played out in a different part of the America's social fabric.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

losing to whom? you're going to tell me that your opinion should help me make up mine regarding Gatsby? I never once felt engrossed in reading it.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of odd you mention London. Gatsby seems like a book he'd wished he'd written.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This. You are told something is great therefore you don't judge it as any other book

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not talking about action. I'm talking about character development and story.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I like Hemingway very much. His best long works, though, were about a soldier in the Spanish Civil War, an ambulance driver in Italy, a Cuban fisherman, and a group of expats living in Spain. I think subject matter disqualifies them from consideration, not merit. At some point, the great American novel has to have something to do with 'Merca.

I'm not sure what you mean by a disclaimer, either. Moby [penis] is certainly a sign of the time, as is Huck Finn, as are all of Hemingway's works. The setting doesn't limit their importance.

I can't disagree with this. I think Gatsby is indisputably on the short list, and among that list I think it is the best. Sure, that's subjective, but it is also right.

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Lolita?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I liked it the first time I read as a sophomore in high school with zero knowledge of its fame beforehand. And it's not as if Hemingway doesn't have a stigma of greatness associated with him, so any predisposition one would have toward Gatsby would be just as pervasive in an evaluation of A Farewell to Arms.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Everyone in Gatsby is pretty thoroughly developed save Nick the narrator, which I'd say was intentional.

The story, as cotton mentioned, has several interesting facets. Ultimately, it's a love story/ tragedy, so I'm not sure how wild the plot can be. The mystery of Gatsby and the looming decision of Daisy were enough to drive things, in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I prefer any Hardy Boys 'novel'

11. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I can't get into it because I feel very detached from the story. It makes me feel better that you feel the same way.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Going to have to put me in the its a work of art crowd, if only for the St olaf reference, which i assume was taken by the writers of the golden girls.

Any book that can make me dislike the damn narrator at times is a good book.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And how does Twilight not get a bid here.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

"Tales of a 4th grade nothing" for my money

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Where the red fern grows

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's not about my opinion. It doesn't matter if you "like" the book. I don't "like" most Shakespeare, but that doesn't make me question his greatness or say he isn't as good as people claim. If you want to say that you don't like Gatsby, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but claiming it isn't a great piece of work? That's an argument that won't hold up.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What do you judge books on? Whether you like them or not?

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The Alchemist and Walden.

19. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

"Superfudge" and it isn't even close.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Doesn't everyone?