The Shitty Luck Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is shitty luck getting you down? Everyone has it at some point, and it's always nice to be able to vent frustrations. Do that here.

I went to get in my car this morning and the door wouldn't open. I realized that someone had hit me on the spot right between the driver side door and the front left wheel. I only have liability insurance coverage, and no one left a note or anything. Gotta love people.

I'll add to this story that I once hit someone who was not in his vehicle at the time, but I, being a person of virtue, went into the store and let the person know. I figured that would be good karma, but I guess I was wrong.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This morning my foot was killing me. Bothered me all morning and felt like something was jabbing into my sole. Finally got to the point where I took my shoe off. Lo and behold there's over $300 in cash in there. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That was me. Got you back, you ****er!

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That isn't what karma means, and there is no such thing as karma anyway. I apologize for the misfortune of having me prattle like an obnoxious ass in your thread.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Zimbabwean dollars put out a reasonable bit of BTU's in the winter.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is karma not a "what goes around comes around" sort of thing? Or are you about to drop some sort of literal meaning on me?

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Oh shit. First IP segregates himself from all the Christians of the board, and now he's throwing stones at Norris.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Karma is action. It is basically cause-effect, and is not some force out there that is judging what you do, as some Westerners perceive it. So yes, it is in a sense what-goes-around-comes-around, but it more affects your happiness. If you are a good person, you will sew seeds of positive karma in your mind and when the time is come for them to be ripe, they will emerge as joy and happiness. There is instant karma (you punch me in the face, I will punch you back sorta of thing) and there is long term karma (you cheat on a test and dont get caught, but it sets up a seed of negative karma in your mind and will sit there until it manifests later, perhaps in another life as well).

So do not look to do good things to have good things happen to you, that is not really what it is about. You do good things to help others and this sets up positive mind states and you will be a happier person for it.

Oh, IP and I agree on more things than not, and I will be the first to say that he is probably right. But I see nothing illogical about karma and the idea of cause-effect in our mental states and what happens to us in this life and the next. I say "Hello!" to you and am nice to you, it makes you happier, you go home and treat your husband better, and he in turn goes to work the next day in a better mood so when I show up to buy a muffin from his bakery he is nice to me because of the mood he is in and it keeps turning. Much like that insurance commercial out a few years ago where the guy sees someone do something nice and passes it along as the day goes on until the person he originally saw does the nice thing he saw.

That is how I perceive it. Real or not, I think it is not a bad thing to follow.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Norris is the authority here but karma refers to all the actions a being has made in both this life and previous ones, which decides their fate in future existences. How it is referred to in western culture is incorrect.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

In my experience there's no such thing as luck

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Thank you, Obi-wan.

But it is my experience as welll. I will say Good Luck! but that is just a habit.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that must make your current life very depressing to you.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Thanks, dad

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hard love buddy

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I told the guy because I'm a person of virtue, not because I wanted something good to happen to me. I just found it interesting that the exact same situation has happened to me now but on the other side.

Well in that case, I'm using it in the incorrect western culture way, and you can go **** yourself.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

[​IMG]

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

But what if I hate you? Then you saying "Hello" pisses me off, and on top of that your mystical, voodoo Buddha magic has turned my wife into a husband. Everything goes into a downward spiral. You're destined to be reborn as a pile of cow shit for that one. Careful who you say hello to.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Sounds like good magic to me.

19. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Always enjoyed the Bad Luck Brian memes...some of them anyway.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Recently lost 180$. Seriously have no clue where it went. Just disappeared from my wallet. It was my kids birthday money to boot. So it's double the shit.