The Sunshine Pumping Josh Heupel Positives Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Like you said, he's a business man. You bring 4mil to the table, you get a 4mil coach. We just happened to piss him off is what it looks like right before we were actually ready to pay for once.

A-Smith likes this.
  2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm a big Coastal/Chadwell fan (I know you are too), but that all depends on how he does. It only takes one dismal season to sink an up-and-coming coach's prospects. Personally, I'd take the $20 million guaranteed. I'm fairly sure Chadwell would have too, if he was contacted.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

To get Jimmy to sit down, we were probably going to have to bring $6 million for a $4 million coach, $8M for a $6M coach.

I absolutely [uck fay]ing hate Sexton. But he represents the best candidates in the field and a good AD worth his salt is able to get to the table and negotiate that, especially considering he wasn't the one that let Pruitt go for cause. Get a $6M coach for $7M/yr over 6 with same general buyout as we have now and our current situation - that 's a win.

You'd think an AD being paid $2M would be said AD. But Danny White is a [uck fay]ing [ussy pay].

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

/checks to confirm this is still sunshine thread

Honestly, I actually see this as a positive. White knew damn well he was losing the press conference by hiring Heupel. And in case any of us though he was just clueless, his statement about the fans needing to be more positive should be a pretty clear indication that he knows what kind of reception this is getting.

Now I don’t like the “everybody needs to get onboard, Twitter negativity hurts the program” BS. But if he knows that people will get behind Chadwell, and he knows people are going to freak out about Heupel, and he hires Heupel anyways? That’s putting himself out on a limb when he doesn’t have to. And if an AD with a good track record is putting himself out on a limb for a guy, it is at least modest reason to believe in said guy.

I’m not anywhere close to all-in on Heupel. But if a well-respected AD is going all-in on Heupel when he had other options that were easier to sell, that’s a mark in the plus column.

warhammer and Volsdude like this.
  5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This is a reasonable and plausible assessment.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can’t wait to see what he does. And I don’t know that we will ever hear from any UT source that they were turned down by a sun belt coach

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk, these guys always have to think they’re the smartest guy in the room. Just do the easy f’ing thing.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

You’re also cutting yourself out of the UT gravy train by blackballing UT when his guy is the one who [uck fay]ed up. This had to have been a deliberate choice by UT. He’s made a small fortune off Tennessee alone.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I’m a broken record on this, but IMO the key to success is finding people who are reasonably competent, can identify talent, and can work with others (i.e. don’t have to always be the smartest guy in the room). We have not had a coach like that in a decade. I don’t think we’ve had an AD like that in a decade. Yesterday, I thought we had that sort of AD. Today I’m a little less confident, because this can certainly be read as “I’m smarter than you, deal with it.” I don’t know enough about White to know if he’s that kind of guy. But his track record is solid, so I will take that as a small but meaningful positive sign.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Nothing is guaranteed. He could have a medical issue that arises a year from now that doesn't allow him to coach ever again.

If he had the opportunity to put $3.5-4 million per year in his bank account and turned it down, he's not the brightest bulb.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Volsdude

We blew this thing up. The university could have easily hidden these things, but they chose to investigate them to fire the man with cause. I have no idea if he blackballed us or not, and that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that it would make sense to send a one time message to the university saying "you don't do that to my guys". There's no risk of ruining your train of gravy when you own the entire coaching market. You have to protect your brand though if you intend on keeping said market.

A-Smith likes this.
  12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

All of TV's assessments are plausible and reasonable. He's the adult voice in the romper room.

Savage Orange likes this.
  13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Only our fan base would go from 75% disapproval of the hire one day to 90% talking about being "Hueped Up" and "we have a coach that's gonna put one of our guys in Heisman race" the next day.

chavisut and Volsdude like this.
  14. Volsdude

We're back!!

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I hope he does well. I will, of course, be watching

warhammer and Tar Volon like this.
  16. Savage Orange

Count me firmly in the other 10%. I’m not “Heuped Up” whatsoever.

17. Savage Orange

I’ve been ranting and raving about how much I hate this hire all day now (and I do... I think UT could have done so much better than a last resort guy like Heupel) but I’m going to try to find some positive. Work with me.

1) He seems very unlikely to do or say anything to embarrass himself or the university.
    2) Within the scope of programs he has been with, his offenses can score. Whether that translates against quality opponents remains to be seen but the potential is there.
    3) Head coaches don’t necessarily need to be top shelf recruiters. Spurrier wasn’t. If he gets the right assistants in it could potentially work out, but I don’t like the idea of his success being largely dependent on whoever the assistants turn out to be.
    4) Supposedly, his O line coach is really good. If he comes along, one of our major problems last season could get fixed.
    5) He couldn’t care less whether I’m happy with the hire or not. I could be totally as wrong about him as I was about Pruitt. I thought Pruitt was going to be the guy to fix UT football. Instead, he may have broken it beyond repair...

That’s all I got.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Tar Volon and Volsdude like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nothing wrong with a little heup

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I hope he does well, as well. We'll probably be a 500 team for another 4 years, but, at least we have hope.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Easy to say that from the outside. Guy is a D1 coach - wants to coach at the highest level for a long time. UT is not going to be that place for a bit.