The Wildcat? Red dog snack break

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 6, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The passing attack is the strength of the team. It isn't really something one can debate rationally.

So why are we spending valuable practice time on a package with little to no passing threat? With Tyler Bray lined up wide? How is that going to fit into the overall scheme of the offense?

One of the knocks on Chaney I have read here and elsewhere is that his play-calling is disjointed and illogical. He isn't calling plays in an effort to set things up. I am not knowledgeable enough to really weigh in on that with any authority. But I do question why we are working on building a package that is completely disjointed from our strengths.

Groves, Jay, anyone. Come and set me straight on this query.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Trick play.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It could be a sign they have thrown their hands up and gave up on trying conventional methods to running the ball

Or

The offensive staff believes there is too much speed on O (Lane, Neal, Young, Da'Rick, Hunter) to run the ball up the gut

Or

It could be 2012's version of the botched pistol O they tried putting in a week before Vandy.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you mean we'll have a trick play in the package? Like a pass?

I'm skeptical. The key to the present is the past, as geologists say. We sure haven't shown any pass plays or trickery out of that formation this past decade.

Didn't this package single-handedly lose us the UK game?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hopefully, they either stick with it and use it quite a bit (you can do a lot with it, especially if Lane can legitimately throw the ball) or scrap it and never speak of it again.

An ill timed "wildcat" did lose the Kentucky game

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

From what I've read, King did play some QB at his HS. So who knows.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jones actually threw the ball good enough to make it a viable option going into the 2008 season. I believe Clawson would have ran it about 15 snaps per game if had full control of the O.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

King and Marlin Lane both ran it in high school

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let us explore these possibilities.

if (a) This is not a real solution to the problem though is it? I get that the wildcat creates equal numbers at the point of attack, theoretically. But what are we going to do? Pass the ball 2 times from shotgun and then just line up and wildcat? It seems like the WR sweep debacle all over again. No surprise, no chance of it working more than a couple of times in a couple of games.

if (b) That is possible, but surely we will be better served focusing on getting their hands on the ball from formations with established passing ability.

if (c) Then we're wasting practice time.

I know my mood on the season is swinging more wildly than Tenny D at a block party barbecue, but I just don't get "the process" sometimes.

10. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I'm not really sure why the coaches have not made a concerted effort to install some pistol packages in the off season(a la Alabama). Maybe they have, and it will be a big surprise this year. This just seems like the only good option that Tennessee has to run with Bray at QB.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Having Bray on the field + someone else throw ball = NYYVOL at TGIF's during happy hour on the first day of Fleet Week

Screwed at multiple positions, with the only effect being a reamed anus and an overwhelming sense of shame.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. Another thing is coaches follow trends. The wildcat is the flavor of the day. I'm skeptical. Line up and run the ball. If this is a desperation move to have a run game, we're screwed. We do have some speed, so who knows for sure. If we are going to run this formation, I prefer taking Bray out. There's no threat of him doing anything except getting hurt. Risking an injury to him is not worth any surprise value, imo.

Or it could be that it worked so well in last year's KY game...

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Hunter gets hurt taking a speed sweep out of the wildcat, I may get arrested

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'm willing to bet it will be Rogers or Young 99.9% of the time.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Neyland loved the single wing, so this is just Dooley giving some love to our tradition.

16. JayVols

I think Chaney might install a jet sweep to Rogers this year. Could be a beast of a play, imo.

17. JayVols

Wingbacks in Neyland....Old School.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope it's 100%

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I never understood why they put the QB out wide.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The reverse QB pass, man