The Wildcat? Red dog snack break

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 6, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What happened to the kumbaya we were singing yesterday?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There will be play action ran off of this this season. I feel it.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sobriety

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It only took 3 years to set it up

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

No way. That would be way too logical.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is where Chaney (and a lot of other OCs) outsmart themselves.

7. CardinalVol

Although it will probably a toss to the tight end in the flat off the bootleg.

8. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

In the practice highlights, it looked like CP was running a few end arounds.

It also showed Lane running some triple option with Blanc.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Paul Johnson is jealous

10. Jwells

Jwells New Member

Was it Bama we did it to in 03? The CB stood shrugging towards the line with his hands out when Casey lined up on him. If I recall correctly, we took it for a 30/35 yd TD.

11. JayVols

Yes. I've always preferred to go with what works for my players rather than trying to keep up with what's fashionable.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember that. But that was when the wildcat was fresh. Defenses have seen it, DCs have pre-planned responses to it now. Then- not so much.

13. CardinalVol

I've only coached glad football, but the most fun I've ever had choosing was teen that was able to run the "spread". That wad fun....and unstoppable

14. JayVols

Yeah, the spread is a modern version of the option game. People confuse it with the run and shoot passing offense. I just think a good hard-nosed FB is as comforting to a team as my youngest daughter's blanket a teddy bear are to her.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Taking the QB out of the huddle for the wildcat seems like it would make the defensive coordinators job much easier.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm guessing you don't provide Chick-fil-a after these glaad football games, correct?

17. CardinalVol

Sheesh. I've had better typing days.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I can see mixing it in here or there to catch Ds off guard or give them something extra to plan for. If your spending a lot of time on it, it may mean your having to find alternatives to just running the football.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then you might as well just run with him in the backfield. 90 percent of teams just run it out of the wildcat anyway. It's the most predictable play in football. I don't get the facisnation some coaches have with it.

20. JayVols

This pretty much sums up my opinion. If a defense is sound in it's option techniques and responsibilities, they can defend against the wildcat. I can see using it to make a defense spend practice time in preparing for it, but if a D-Coord is doing their job to start with in camp (making sure they can defend an option), it shouldn't be a big deal.