This is gonna get weird.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 5, 2022.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Going forward, we are gonna have 12 playoff teams. Tennessee is well positioned right now to stay relevant.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Does anyone have any clue what SEC realignment looks like yet?

3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

And that would be a huge [uck fay]ing win for the program

justingroves likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Nobody has any real clue yet. Have heard a lot of rumors about the SEC leaning towards a pod system as opposed to two divisions, but it’s all speculation at this point. I’m not exactly sure what a pod system schedule format would even look like

A-Smith likes this.
  5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I heard that there will not be Divisions (i.e. East, West).

A-Smith likes this.
  6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what our preferences are, we don't control any of that. The only thing we can control is to win out big.

7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Don’t think it will be a pod system or divisions. Every team will either have one or three permanent opponents. That will hinge on whether the conference goes to nine games, or stays at eight. If they stay at eight, it will be one permanent opponent. If they move to nine games, it will be three.

Tar Volon likes this.
  8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You need three to even give everyone their biggest rival. With one, you lose UT/Bama, Georgia/Auburn, along with some of the sneaky long-standing rivalries like LSU/Ole Miss, MSU/Bama, and UT/UK.

A-Smith and ole_orange like this.
  9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I definitely think they will move to nine conference games. There are some schools that are still wanting to remain at eight, but it seems that the momentum from the AD meetings earlier this year is for nine.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would rather a pod system that ensures a player gets to play in every SEC stadium over 4 years. That'd be better than we have now.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No matter what, some rivalries will not be protected. Which is why a system where you are guaranteed to play everyone at least twice in 4 years will help, because rivalries won't wither like they did when the SEC went to divisions.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

With that said I wonder what happened to our game in Oxford MS. They came here but we did not go there. Did we lose that game during the Covid year? (not asking you specifically)

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good question.

14. cpninja

cpninja Member

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I want to play Lane and Ole Miss again.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, the solution is so simple it's kinda crazy that it hasn't already been decided.

9 conference games, 3 permanent opponents (would allow all major rivals to play every year), the other 12 teams rotate (6 teams home/away over two seasons, other 6 teams home/away the next two seasons), play every team home and away every four years.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't want to lose the annual Kentucky beatdown. Vanderbilt is just boring.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we are getting stuck with Vandy simply because there would be no possible 3 teams for them without us in it. Probably UK, Vandy, and Tennessee are in a pod. Not sure on the fourth.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I cannot imagine a scenario where we win out and are not in the playoffs.

OneForVol likes this.