This is gonna get weird.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Their upcoming schedule may not include a single top 15 team. In what universe would beating a bunch of teams outside the top 15 mean they "deserve" to jump us?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Imagine counting on Texas for something. Historically it’s been us bailing them out

3. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I don’t know who they’d play in the big12 championship game but winning at Texas is a good win. I don’t care if their win knocks Texas out of the rankings.

13-0 is still 13-0. I wouldn’t put a 12-1 TCU over the Vols.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They would play either Texas, Baylor, or Kansas State. They have 1 win over a ranked team (Texas over KState) between them. And the team who lost that game (KState) has no ranked wins.

Texas's near win over Alabama may be more impressive than any win TCU has remaining on their schedule.

5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I agree with you about it being ridiculous. But I also feel that the way this committee works and knowing you are putting your fate in their hands is a dangerous game. I really feel like - whether it's merited or not - the committee is going to lean away from two SEC teams this year if they can. And the talking heads have already started the whole, "Oregon's loss against UGA is no worse than ours which is complete horseshit but that's what they are spewing." And even already poking their case for LSU in the disaster scenario where UGA loses to them in the SECCG. They are saying, "well LSU if they beat UGA in the SECCG that overcomes their decimation at the hands of Tennessee on their home field." They make decisions on a whim but I just felt like I have seen this coming for a couple of days now.

There's still lots of football to be played though.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Michigan is 1-0 against ranked opponents. TCU is 4-0 against ranked opponents. It's part of the reason why their SOS and SOR is higher than Michigan. Michigan was more impressive in their one game than TCU was in their four. I'd even pick Michigan over TCU in a head to head. But as of today the TCU resume is better by any measurable standard. So if we should be ranked ahead of TCU we should be ranked ahead of Michigan. And if we didn't get our asses handed to us on Saturday there's a real chance we're sitting at #3 today.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

3 of the 4 opponents that TCU beat, who were ranked at the time, are no longer ranked.

No one is giving us credit for beating Pitt, who was ranked 17th at the time, on the road earlier this season because they are no longer ranked. Why should TCU get credit for wins over teams who are not currently ranked?

Wins over currently ranked teams should mean more, imo. And Michigan has a blowout win over #14 while TCU just has a win over #19.

I agree that if we had played UGA closer, we would probably be #3. But I don't agree that we got out asses handed to us. People who think that probably turned the game off at halftime or shortly after.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Time for them to return the favor.

9. tfannon

tfannon Member

I think they placed us at 5, as the highest 1 loss team, so that if any team ahead of us drops a game they can move us up. Example, TCU loses to Texas, we move to 4. When OHS/MI play, we get moved to 3. They do not want to set up a rematch for the first round.