Those that attended The Battle of Bristol

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 11, 2016.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wow. Sorry to hear.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know about that. She married in.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That's terrible. Sorry to hear that.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Right now they think it was a heart attack. Haven't talked to him since I went home right after college graduation. Had two young daughters. Awful story.

Dude was on my football team every year from 8 year old through our eight grade season. Decent player.

Crazy memories, but he was the guy that I always went out on Halloween with to roll people and bust pumpkins.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wondered about the viewing angles for the battleground seats. We were 37 rows up in the grandstands at about the back of the end zone. We would see great, but I just kept thinking that we should be closer. It just felt weird. It was still a great experience.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

6. JayVols

I'm showing my age there. Bought my first set of football pads & helmet from there for little league. Good memories.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Went to watch the Vol Walk at app. 4:30pm - Vols were 45 minutes late. From there, I stood in-line for app. 1.25 hours just waiting to get into stadium. Once inside, spent 20 minutes waiting in atrocious line for something to drink - when finally my turn, was told they had already sold out. Went to another concession stand, waited another 1 hour in line - got to my seat app. 10 minutes before kickoff, or 8:05pm. So, my 3 hours and 35 minutes of pre-game was waiting in lines. It sucked.

Seats were literally on the very last row on top. The diagrams of where you were seated were not at all indicative of how seating was set up. It was not only fun to scale 62 rows of steps with two kids, but once up top, you couldn't see any of the "Colossus" Jumbotron for the overhang of the eve above. You could lean almost 90 degrees sideways in your seat and never known that a Jumbotron existed. That sucked.

The players looked far, far away. Really far. It was very hard to see who even had the ball. That sucked.

There isn't a more grandly delusional fanbase of their standing than VT. Bar none. I'd rather see Memphis in the SEC than VT.

It was absolutely a 4-hour shill for Pilot. I was wishing death upon the screeching woman from Food City, about 12 minutes into the game. The most annoyingly shrill voice I've ever heard. That sucked.

It was fun for what it was, a complete novelty. As NASCAR dies, tracks are going to have to get creative ala these types of games, and this reeked of being a pure money ploy, with barely a thin veneer of it being anything else. I'm glad that I went, but wouldn't do it again.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I can't stand them.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Distant cousin, sounds about right.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I had the complete opposite experience in line, both trying to get in and at the concession stand. My biggest gripe was that they were out of ketchup for my French fries 1.5 hours before the game.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Even bearing in mind that we share a conference and routinely play games / interact with fans of UGA, Vandy, Ole Miss and Arkansas....they were easily the most logic-defying fanbase that I've ever encountered. Bar none. We camped out near a few of them, and they were nice enough people, but good grief, weren't just sincerely delusional, but about everything associated with both their school / teams, and in every sport. The examples are too innumerous to go into here, but they were absolutely convinced that the SEC was not only pursuing them when we added TAM, but that Slive and several President's had secretly been begging them to join, and that we only took Mizzou after VT had re-buffed our sincerest advances.

After the game, they gave no credit to Tennessee whatsoever, and then began the whole SEC-is-overrated schpiel, culminating with the assertion that anyone but Bama would be second-tier in the ACC.

And it was all sincerely meant, and said with religious-like zeal. We couldn't even make fun of them at some point, for fear of rupturing our spleens with laughter.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I believe every word of this.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Religious-like zeal. That hits the nail on the head. A VT person saw my power T sticker and started talking trash about the game to me... yesterday. After the game. That they lost. I just looked at him, then drove away.

14. JayVols

Me too.

At the Chik-fil-A Bowl, a lone VT fan was in our section. Was up there with the Ohio State and Florida levels of obnoxious category. He was in his early 20s looked like. I guess a 45ish UT fan got tired of his shit and knocked him 3 rows down the bleachers with one punch.

Moral(s) of the story:
    1. Don't be an obnoxious ass when you're surrounded
    2. Don't ever mess with old-man strength.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's weird they've convinced themselves that winning 10 games a year 10 years ago in a shitty conference means they are a national power.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Went to a UGA-USCe game in Athens in high school and set next to two 75+ couples. The two women were sisters. Anyway, there were some drunk assholes sitting in front of them who wouldn't sit down. The women politely asked if they would consider sitting, knowing that they weren't obligated to. Drunk guy turns around and tells the husbands to shut their wives up. The two old men simultaneously knocked the young guys down the bleachers. The police came to sort out who was getting tossed and the entire section said the young guys threw down first.

17. JayVols

Old-man strength is a legit superpower.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I took the stairs from the base of the Wallace Tower elevators all the way to our seats. I think my wife and mother-in-law are still pissed. Funny part is that I was being nice and was going to take the elevator, but my mother-in-law decided that walking would be better than waiting in line. She regretted that decision.

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Don't diss the wives. That will unleash the old Hulk powers.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

With the talent that Virginia produces, Beamer really should have been able to do a lot more.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016