Thread worthy weird geography facts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by A-Smith, Dec 9, 2021.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is such a good reference that I am promoting you from level 35 all the way up to level 34

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, isn’t this also technically the best kind of correct? You may hit Connecticut first but like Brant said if you travel due East (or due south) you will hit Long Island. If you travel due north or west you will hit the rest of NY

Yeah if you travel Northeast you won’t, but [uck fay] non-main cardinal directions

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, you're right.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I rescind my bullshit ruling, upon further review. This is legit.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

IP hates Catholicism so much he doesn't recognize any cardinal

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Birds aren't real, either.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Common knowledge I know, but I still can’t get my mind around New Orleans being 6 feet (on average) below sea level…

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Find it interesting that Death Valley and the Jordan Rift Valley (where the Dead Sea is) are so far below sea level. I've wondered what it might do to the local weather patterns to connect Death Valley to the Gulf of California.

9. Savage Orange

10. Savage Orange

After reading that article about New Orleans originally being 100% above sea level (which I did NOT know until today) before humans started tinkering with the land, if we connected Death Valley to the Gulf of California my guess is that only bad things would happen…

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, things would happen, and people are adjusted to how things are so change is perceived as "bad."

Ultimately, what would happen is you would have increased erosion in the basin that choked the connection with silt, the sea water would evaporate, and you would end up basically where you started. Natural processes reassert themselves. Just like what will ultimately happen with New Orleans. Eventually it would flood without intervention, and sediment would build up, vegetation would come in, and you'd end up with swamp land again. Our lives are short, but geological processes reassert themselves.

Can see it with beaches/coast lines too, where people try to build barriers and structures but all it does complicate the sand distribution system and creating other unintended effects.

Savage Orange likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's almost like God/Mother Nature/whatever your beliefs knows what they're doing and we should leave it alone

Savage Orange likes this.
  13. Savage Orange

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lol, but everything we build and burn affects nature. We are currently the biggest force of nature on the planet, collectively.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, we [uck fay] up everything we touch

16. Savage Orange

A regular bunch of reverse King Midases, we are…