TN Governor Evolution Bill

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

IP I have to ask this, but just with evolution, can you show me by #4 how man came about?

The steps of the scientific method are to:
    1.Ask a Question
    2.Do Background Research
    3.Construct a Hypothesis
    4.Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
    5.Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
    6.Communicate Your Results

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is not a good point. It is a point that displays a general ignorance to the scientific method. Arguing against evolution by invoking ideas that are not based on the scientific method is not advancing knowledge. The testing and changing of ideas through the scientific process, including with evolution which as undergone changes over the last 30 years, is always ongoing. Those changes are based on evidence and observation, not belief.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. How did man evolve?
    2. Study theory of evolution, natural selection, genetics, speciation, etc.
    3. H1: A line of fossils from the past will show a progression from an ape-like species, to a series of species progressively more human-like over time. Genetic evidence of ongoing evolution within human populations will be detectable in the human genome
    H0: Everything in the fossil record will correspond with known species of apes or humans, with no changes over time towards human-like features. There will be no evidence of change in the genetic makeup of modern humans over time.
    4.Evolution -- Transitional Hominids, Human Genome Shows Proof of Recent Evolution, Survey Finds, Best evidence so far that humans are still evolving, scientists say – Light Years - CNN.com Blogs, Top 10 Signs Of Evolution In Modern Man, Evidence for Human Evolution, and on and on and on.
    5. See above.
    6. See above.

Can you give me your explanation as to why whales have hip bones? They serve absolutely no function, and aren't even attached to the spine.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Fossil record, DNA analysis, and the concept of parsimony. By examining the fossil record, and looking at similarities between genetic make up of previously alive species, compared to our own, we can arrive at a lineage, based on very close ancestors.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't sound as good in church.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, that's a bit of the problem here.

It isn't so much that theories are promoted to law if "proven." They won't be proven.

Theories are often structured on laws, however. Such as the theory of gravity being centered in part on the law of inverse squares. This law describes specific observed behavior and becomes a part of a broader theory on the nature of gravity...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, of course.

(Whistles politely to himself and realizes the social sciences are pretenders to the throne).

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You make an educated guess.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Haha...just predict how I will behave given a certain set of inputs...then wait for me to realize you may be right and give a full-hearted, "ah, shit!"

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

When it isn't intelligent at all, and barely qualifies as discussion.

Honestly, what is more likely:
    (a) a class full of 8th graders engages in a respectful and thoughtful discussion on the evidence supporting global warming projections, with specific emphasis on the types of evidence that most likely to be suffer from causation misconstructions and thus decrease the accuracy range of the projections.

OR

(b) several kids reciting exactly what their parents said about global warming at the dinner table a week ago. Which was an exact recitation of what their parents heard the day before on talk radio.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that option (b) is about 9,000 times more likely to occur.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you can get kids to think for themselves, you're doing your job as a teacher.

Schools have failed when they say screw it and don't teach on something because of idiotic parents.

12. kidbourbon

Never really satisfied with what?

Or, which of the following did Sammy Scientist likely say?
    (1) I am not satisfied with this whole evolution thing. The idea that a higher power just snapped his fingers and the world became what it is seems equally plausible.
    OR
    (2) I am just not fully satisfied with the progress of scientific research in explaining the differences in facial bone structure between the fossils we have found in Asia, and the fossils we recently discovered in the northwest part of the United States.
    OR
    (3) I am just not fully satisfied in my quest for understanding how it is that kidbourbon's penis is so much larger than any penis ever seen or heard about before. My understanding of genetic mutations is simply not comprehensive enough to explain such a massive -- and yet still fully functional -- piece of man-meat.

Sammy Scientist definitely did not say #1
    #2 and #3 are basically the same thing. He is more likely to have discussed one of those two...probably #3.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Kidbourbon letting dudes named Sammy look at his junk. Interesting direction this thread has taken.

14. kidbourbon

(1) I agree. I actually want to do some teaching, even if it is just part time. Kids could defiinitely learn the concepts necessary to have a rudimentary discussion if is taught well. But with all that being said, it becomes really really hard for even a great teacher to faciliate an intelligent discussion on an issue that a kid got brainwashed on by his dad four days ago.

15. kidbourbon

I meant Sally. My bad.

16. kidbourbon

Tupac's Changes.

17. Oldvol75

IP can't you come up with something better than this? Its basically women having children at an earlier age, could not there have been underlying factors in the community where there just weren't enough men for these women to get married earlier? It still doesn't answer the question of just where we evolved from not to mention the Experiment that the scientists conducted to test to see if it could be done. Thats where my real problem lies. If you really want me to believe the science, show me the experiment where the scientists start with the original theory that man came from "A" and bring it to its conclusion that brings you to man. You can't just say this is what we think and stay true to the scientific method, at least in my eyes. I want to see it all laid out before I believe it, in other words I want to see all of it laid out on the table, not just what people think happened.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Could be short for Samantha.

19. Oldvol75

Can you give me your explanation as to why whales have hip bones? They serve absolutely no function, and aren't even attached to the spine.

Yes whales have "hip bones" as we view hip bones though they are not connected to the spine. So most life evolved from the sea to land but the reverse would have to be true then with the whale. It would have to have evolved from the land then to the sea. Wouldn't that be degeneration?

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is believed to be precisely what happened to dolphins, and whales. Both are mammals. Ponder that.