Transfer portal

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Dec 2, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see it. I wasn't giving you grief, I just find it amazing to even think about being able to afford school based on working full time in the summer and part-time in the year. It probably is how things ought to be.

But ya, you were so invested in school, it sucks that you walked away from it without finishing. Though I don't think it is worth the cost these days.

Savage Orange likes this.
  2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I honestly have made more hay with my tech school education... when I graduated HS, my mom asked me to take two years and go to a local Vo-Tech school to learn a trade. Machine shop and welding were full so I took auto mechanics. Long story short, her advice has made just about every job I’ve ever had happen. I’m not a mechanic, but the jobs I’ve had involved that skill set and when my daughter graduates in three years (if her mother doesn’t kill her first...) I plan on passing along that same advice to her. There’s a really good Tech school near where we live and they offer a lot more that Columbus Tech ever did at the time I went there.

Volst53, IP and CardinalVol like this.
  3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

The bubble will have to pop at some point. The current model just isn’t sustainable.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I did about the same, 92-98. My parents and scholarship money helped a bit at the onset, and I had worked full time two summers at a local garment factory in high school to save up in advance. I look at tuition now for my kids, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep up if I was graduating high school now.

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

That was my point many posts ago that IP didn't get.

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

These are interesting points. A public in state tuition should be priced so that at median wage rates a full time summer job and part time school year job should come close to covering the cost of a full load. What we have now is absurd and corrupt.

7. Savage Orange

It’s borderline evil. The system is rigged so that you can’t make any real money without an advanced degree, but the cost of that degree means that you’ll essentially be a debt slave for the majority of your working life... on top of that, if things are still the way they were when I was in school, the minute you step on campus there’s 150 different credit card companies with booths set up to try to get you even FURTHER into debt before you even finish your first semester.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am fortunate, I work for TBR and my kids tuitions will be half off at a state school. Wife and I were looking at tuitions for UT (oldest is 16) and DAAAMN. I was paying 1100 a semester back in 90.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get that it is not sustainable.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My son starts Nooga in the fall. Really, wanted him to just get away from home and see how it goes. Columbia St here locally is free, but him living at home, commuting and us around him while here didn't seem to me as motivating and I know I wouldn't have liked it. If it doesn't work out, he can always come home, but we are gonna try it. Go have some fun, grow, learn to live on his own, meet a girl or two and get an education in graphic art or design or similar

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The credit card companies on campus really pissed me off. They were exploiting the group of people most vulnerable to making bad financial decisions, young adults away from their parents for the first time while having minimal financial experience. Then, when they got in debt, the kids were 100% blamed. [uck fay]ing predators.

12. Savage Orange

The CC companies know that in most cases, the parents will bail their kids out too...

13. Ssmiff

Michigan qb Joe milton rumored to be enrolled and transferring. Probably say by to Bailey or Salter or both

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe, but they did say they wanted another QB weeks ago.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don’t think he’d be here if Heupel is happy with the present QB room

16. Ssmiff

He may not be, but in reality, we only have 3 right now and one is gone after this year. If Bailey or maurer transfers, it leaves us with one currently practicing for next year. Milton has 2 years so it's possible its for some protection and adding more competition.
    Heard it a little last year, but I'm not sure Baileys processing, release and motor is quick enough for what's needed.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He wasn't very good at Michigan, I don't see him being much other than another body.

18. Ssmiff

Yeah. Didnt watch much of Michigan so no idea if their offense was more like Pruitts or JH.

19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If they take Milton it’s a sign that they aren’t happy with any of the QBs they inherited. Not ideal.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's also an in to Pahokee High

SetVol13 and IP like this.