Trump’s EPA $100M Flint Water Fix

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'll take all of the credit for Trump as I can get, but why has it taken this long to fix this issue, by any Administration?

I'm sincerely asking - Why has this happened, and has taken so long to correct? Am I missing something?

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dail...flint-100-million-to-fix-broken-water-system/

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I can't begin to answer your question. This bill wasn't passed and signed until mid-December 2016. It specifically allows for revolving 100 million dollar federal grants (with 20 million match from the states). But it seems very odd that it took that long to get a bill or that a bill would even really be required to authorize funds for an emergency like Flint. My guess is the election year sorely slowed thingns down.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's horrific how ignored flint and similar situations have been. Glad they're getting some relief. There a lot of places needing this, as well.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Was it that the City failed these people, the EPA, or both?

Was it just an immense screw-up, or did it also involve a coverup?

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A mixture of all of it. Government isn't good at up keep on infrastructure, because it's not sexy and doesn't lead to headlines and votes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The state and epa are both the main culprits. The city was kind of along for the ride. It has been a symphony of "not my fault" by all who... Well... At fault. The state and city should have known not to switch water sources without proper treatment, epa should have blown the whistle at multiple points. They all ignored the public concern and cry for help. It was only when a scientist at Virginia Tech stepped in at public request that the problem was technically confirmed, despite over a year of obviously improper water.

There was at least one suicide from someone involved, but he apparently was being ordered to disregard concerns.

There are politics that obfuscate this as well, as the debacle began as a strategy to save state money.