POLITICS Trump EO on Big Tech

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, May 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Smell that freedom.

warhammer likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

President Veruca Salt didn't get what he wanted and, as any entitled rich spoiled brat used to getting everything their way, pitched a fit, resulting in this astonishing overreach of a law based upon his personal interests and not public interest. I am, however, enjoying how the cult follower on the board is going all in.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Secret government panels making lists of people is a plank. With enough planks, you get a platform.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

kptvol likes this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Fantastic.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You can’t figure out who your State AG’s are?

If they keep up, this is going to turn into a cornerstone, if it hasn’t already.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

To totalitarianism?

8. Tenacious D

How does this in any way equate to totalitarianism?

9. CardinalVol

Executive officer thinking he's above the law trying to punish those through his office that dare oppose him?

When all is said and done, it's all this boils down to, no matter how you present it.

10. Tenacious D

These companies have 30 days to decide if they are content publishers or creators.

I’d choose wisely, because it’ll stick.

But they’ll pick one or the other.

Simple. Genius.

11. Tenacious D

What law are you referencing?

Are you legitimately trying to argue that Trump - Trump - is simply targeting people who oppose him? That it’s no more complicated than that?

I don’t need to present anything, believing it to be self-evident. If you think this is a step toward “totalitarianism” you aren’t going to like how the rest of this goes.

12. CardinalVol

Basically any law that he doesn't like. Law, moral, or anything else. He wants to be king and that's it. He cares 0, repeat 0, not one iota about how this affects anyone else and only that Jack would dare cross the great Trump.

There's no way it'll hold, but then again I'm not sure it will be necessary when it is reversed in 7 months anyway.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't think he targets those who oppose him? Hello?

Of course people who think this is a step towards totalitarianism won't like continued steps towards totalitarianism. Goes without saying.

14. Tenacious D

First, name the law. Any law.

Can you? Or are you just moaning? I don’t think you can, but I’ll look at any you suggest. But name it.

Who does this affect? People who don’t want to be censored in their free speech? Those crazy bastards?

It seems to me to only negatively impact Big Tech companies who want to be judge and jury about what’s acceptable to say, or not. Well, them or their Communist Chy-Na owners / backers.

Is there someone else or some group that I’m overlooking, besides Big Tech and Communist Chy-Na?

No way it’ll hold? You jest. That companies who have enjoyed 203 exemptions by claiming to be “content platforms”, but then acting as “content creators” will have to self-identify as one or the other, and then actually abide by that? That he‘s going to withhold federal funding from a political “content creator” (as the law prohibits)?

What’s the legal crack that you see in this, specifically?

The “King” stuff is just a bad case of the SG’s.

And what do you think is happening in 7 months, again? You think he’ll be too distracted with a second inauguration, following a landslide re-election victory?

Because that’s exactly what is happening, brosuf.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So are these companies only exempt from liability if they are considered content publishers - or are they now subject to liability regardless? I would imagine being subject to liability would only make them much more aggressive about restricting content.

16. CardinalVol

Whatever.

Unimane likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

Maybe you can explain how this is a step toward totalitarianism.

Usually that involves the loss or stripping of rights, and not their protection - but I’m happy to entertain any argument, however far-flung and silly.

18. Tenacious D

Smart.

19. CardinalVol

No, just not wanting to argue with a guy about his god.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Does moderation of posts make this site a content creator and does that create liability?

If moderation is fully consistent with published posting standards would it trigger content creator status?

If moderation does mean you are a content creator and someone defames someone on this site, is the site liable?

I smell terrible.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020