UGA is flaccid

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The other ILB is going to be whomever you'd trust the most with reading through the G. It's a standard read so it's not like you'd be teaching it to freshman.

In all honesty you won't see a 44 but will most likely see a Bear front and a S/5/9. I doubt you see the standard Under much this week because funneling Gurley weak doesn't play to your advantage.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I don't think he can. That's why I would expect to see us consistently stack the box and play downhill.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You need to go YouTube some late 90s VT games and watch Bud Foster dial up gems with 10 undersized defenders and John Engleberger.

4. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Isn't the 4-2-5 the "Mustang" package, otherwise known as 3rd and Chavis?

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm not wanting or hoping for injuries but I want UGA to know they've played us. Last year, I felt as though if you asked who wanted to play another quarter UGA would've thrown in the towel. Bring the intensity....

6. GahLee

I agree. You don't want to provide a cut back for guy like Gurley. I'm ok with it being a smash mouth game, we are equipped for that.

7. GahLee

Well you can't drop 8 in to coverage every time.

8. GahLee

You man or zone blitz guy?

9. OrangeBlood79

Agreed. For those of whom stated that the game was as close as it was because UGA was crippled by the third quarter, I just say "that's football."

If the proverbial shoe was on the other foot and we were the top 15 team that became decimated by injuries and nearly lost to a two touchdown underdog, I'd say the same thing...doesn't mean I'd like it but, doesn't make it any less true either.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yep. Just every play on an opponent's potentially game-winning final drive.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Mustang used a lot of 3-man fronts. Chavis at times employed what's recognized as a 425 look but from the snap of the ball functioned nothing like the 425.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Loved to rush 3 and give the QB about 35 seconds to find the open man. I think the DT in that situation was often a second-string DE that got abused by big SEC interior linemen.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Jay makes a convincing argument for going straight man on early downs but I see no need in using it other than a mere threat for the blitz it's associated with. Then again, he's got 1000Xs more experience than I do.

If given the chance, I'd run a 425 that's got a recognized R safety F safety and L safety that works to disguise divorced zone coverages on straight spread teams and occupies the alleys with L and R against balanced opponents.

14. OrangeBlood79

I love a good Zone Blitz but you have to be selective when you implement them.

Even when our backfield was stocked with NFL talent, I didn't like the Mustang. After Fulmer started to get lax in his recruiting and the athletes weren't as prominent...well, loathing doesn't quite cover it.

15. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

major brain fart. That was the ?

16. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

the problem I see with a 4-4 is when Ga goes 2 or 3 TE sets and sends them out, it seems like they could pick apart whomever JRM isn't on, or beat them over their heads or laterally. But I don't know.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I feel like you're the guy who wrote this gem:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...07114-reasons-we-fixin-whip-georgias-ass.html

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Seriously? I've been 182 for about 10 years.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Cover 3 and the entire field is covered. There's also three other LBs during a cover 1 look or 0 the FS could pick up the number two.

20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

No, not seriously.