POLITICS Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jan 22, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hope of what? It is all a matter of how deep we want to dig. And we don't seem willing to put down the shovel any time soon

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Pretty much what I figured. I guess when do we think shit gets really bad. When do parts of the populated world become unlivable? Sounds as though (more) major issues with freshwater are coming fast. I saw where the western US drought is spreading eastward.

So, yeah, what hope.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It won't be like day after tomorrow. We are already feeling it in terms of more extremes. It is a frog in the pot thing where the scale is so long and large we only really notice in punctuated moments of lots of fires or floods and then forget.

One of the indications is refugee/immigration, which will likely get super wild by 2050.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting thread on how simple drones are being used to great effect against Russia:

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is one thing to see tanks explode. Your mind can pretend it is just a machine and no people were hurt. The Volvo video and the one where the Russian soldier is returning from a mission and talking on Tik Tok when the shell hits him is pretty tough.

IP likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Much was made last week about Putin bringing in a new General to run things. Ukraine has already sent him back to Russia wounded and injured.

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Optimistic of a Ukrainian victory.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm still worried about what Putin will do after his conventional forces get their asses definitively kicked. I worry he'd rather burn it all down than lose.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

deleted, could you expand a little on what it said?

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This woman tweets some frightening clips from Russian state TV. They are priming their people for a nuclear escalation. "We will go to heaven. They will simply croak." is how one Russian commentator put it.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

TIL Ukrainian agriculture feeds 400 million people.

And yet their median household GDP per capita is $2000. Something is wrong with this.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Can't, really. Food is one of the absolute things we need, so it is made cheap, by design. Increasing food prices causes hunger crises.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, I'm aware. Food prices shoudln't go up. But I do think wealthy countries should subsidize poor farmers.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Basically that Russia has already taken its best shot and had failed. Discussions around a Map showing Ukrainian brigades making strides as heavy weapons move in and Russians continue to lose men, supplies, equipment, and morale. Said that Ukraine would start to gain ground in the south around Odesa and continue its momentum east.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've read similar things. One was from a Ukrainian official that said it is possible Russia would make one more big push, but it is so poorly supported that it would be a disaster for them if they did.

Nobody can lose 1,000 tanks in 2 months and be as strong as they were at the start.

But I want to know what will happen if Ukraine does start getting movement forward. Where do they stop? if they stop at their borders, that allows time for Russia to retool and rebuild. If they push into Russia, that risks some sort of nuclear or other WMD response, which could be directed anywhere or everywhere. In many ways, it doesn't get less dangerous for the world if Russia gets beaten back, it may get more dangerous. Hopefully Ukraine is in consultation with Europe and the US on how to proceed in that kind of situation.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

On twitter I saw several outlets I'm not familiar with (and assume to possibly not reliable) say Putin is handing over power for a few days while undergoes some type of surgery for cancer. NY Post has now run with it. Not saying NY Post is a shining star, but I'm assuming now it may well be true.

On the one hand I'd like for his doctors to do humanity a favor and apply a lethal dose when putting him under. On the other hand though it sounds like the guy that would have power while Putin is away may be worse.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

While Russia is retooling and rebuilding they can join NATO.

I wonder if they get momentum do they take back Crimea.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they ever want it back, they should.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's a lot harder to push soldiers off ground than it is to hold it.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1) I hope for this. So much corruption in Russia it would not surprise me if someone or a group get together to accomplish this. Putin has hurt a lot of people who previously had a lot of money and power.

2) I doubt a coup would simply ordain him as their leader.