US AmbassadorKilled in Libya

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 12, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'll stipulate all of this. But it is a PR nightmare and I think it is a turning point for our Middle East policy. Who will win the civilization, Western-thinking, freedom loving people or terrorists, parochialism, and small-mindedness? I don't believe that's entirely overstating it.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I hope that we do not have to do anything. I know Libyan officials have apologized. I hope they use video and photos to catch and punish the attackers. I am not optimistic

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A little early to criticize the President's handling of the situation. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if this thing is bungled in some way, but I'd wait for it first.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I always thought being Ambassador to a place like Finland would be a pretty sweet gig.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Switzerland. I'd go skiing all winter.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like Finland, but it's dark there for like 21 hours a day in the Winter. Summers are fine and they have pretty good bakeries.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Have not been there in the winter, but I guess you are right.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you misinformed, or just a political shill? Just want to get that clarified.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If I were a shill I might have mentioned something about Biden calling the 9/11 Aniversary "bittersweet".

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

After the attacks Hillary released:

I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today. As we work to secure our personnel and facilities, we have confirmed that one of our State Department officers was killed. We are heartbroken by this terrible loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack.

This evening, I called Libyan President Magariaf to coordinate additional support to protect Americans in Libya. President Magariaf expressed his condemnation and condolences and pledged his government’s full cooperation.

Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.

In light of the events of today, the United States government is working with partner countries around the world to protect our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What do you think about their statement?

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Religion. Just think how peaceful the world would be without it.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well that's just because he's dumb.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Crazy Uncle Joe.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure that came out before the protests turned super-violent and was probably attempting to quell violence. Don't really see a problem.

Even though I seriously dislike Hillary, I doubt anyone else's comments would be much different. Standard stuff. And honestly, I don't really approve of the film, based off of what I've heard, so I can't fault her for saying that.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I was just curious of what IP thought about the statements given his anti-religion sentiment.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just trying to understand how comments having to do with the Egyptian incident-- before the Libyan ambassador was killed-- have anything to do with the response to that.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Actually, I wish we would start a whole other thread about that. I find those comments from Clinton incredibly naive. Just having multiple religions alone is "blasphemous" to each one respectively. Hell, even different denominations. The quest shouldn't be for being "unoffensive," it should be for tolerating those inevitable offenses. They can't be helped. Murdering innocent people for some other guy's youtube video is not only illogical, it is a precedent for defacto global jihad.

The Muslim extremist problem isn't going away, and the only ones who can truly solve it are mainstream Muslims with sense.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm probably taking the bait here but we'd find other reasons to kill each other IMO.