US AmbassadorKilled in Libya

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Supposedly were protesting a film that criticized Islam. Supposedly people were chanting "Osama Bin Laden".

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Respond heavy.

4. JayVols

I agree.

You going down Sat?

5. JayVols

This is my understanding as well.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

These are the issues that can change the outcome of elections.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

As long as we don't lay an egg Friday night. I have a ticket and planning on it. You going down?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The response depends on the collusion of the Libyan government. Is this something they approved, or were they just incompetent? Who's responsible?

I will say that Romney's comments on this are pure trash, using the opportunity to bash Obama (while misrepresenting what happened to boot, shocking).

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Very true. I fully expected nothing to be answered with Libya/Syria/Iran until after the election. No way can Obama sit idle on this til November.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm sure their govt's will get a tongue lashing but that's about it. What else can we do?

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Dispatch Hillary for a month-long fact-finding mission.

Consider their punishment as being time served.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You don't kill ambassadors without repercussions. They are non-combatants and serve to create goodwill between nations. It's the unwritten rule of international diplomacy that they are completely off-limits.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

May be too harsh imo

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What do we do; we blame ourselves of course - "The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pretty sure that came out prior to the attack on the Embassy.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It appears both of these points were failed. In all seriousness, I agree, but can you honestly say you found this news shocking given the geography?

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

True, but only if the government has a hold on its citizenry, which they clearly do not.

This wasn't an action sanctioned by the Libyan State, they attempted to defend the American personnel (however ineptly), and condemned the action as being cowardice. I don't see any way that you can hold the nation accountable, itself, given all of that.

And I hate to point this out, especially amidst this tragedy, but I think that it bears gentle reminding - the position of Ambassador to Libya is not only well-known to be dangerous, especially considering their most recent upheaval, but one which was voluntarily assumed, undoubtedly, with an understanding of the many and inherent risks involved.

That the worst fears came true, while absolutely tragic, could not have come as any surprise to the victims, nor should it be to us.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is NASA's fault. They did not make Muslims feel good enough...

CHARLES BOLDEN, NASA ADMINISTRATOR speaking on Al Jazeera; "When I became the Nasa administrator, he [Mr Obama] charged me with three things. One, he wanted me to help reinspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

By all indication the Libyan government tried to stop the attack and is remorseful. I'm a bit burned out on going in to help establish nation building, but if this is indeed the work of Ansar al-Sharia, then this is fair game for some type of military action on the group. Any additional recourse would be related to how much the Libyan government helps us, which early indications say they will be helpful.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

As long as we don't sneak in and take him out like we did that other knucklehead.