USA - World Cup Squad

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, May 12, 2014.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He also hasn't been very good lately.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He has but himself in a position where they have to make some noise. I am a huge Lando fan, but I can't say I disagree with the decision given everything that has happened

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

No question.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wouldn't have been shocked at all if he wasn't in the starting XI but would be nice to have him available off the bench IMO. Truth is it's not as glaring an omission as it probably seems to the casual fan. Still expected him to be there.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I have a hard time not taking him, knowing that he's the best we've ever had and can deliver in the clutch. If this is about the sabbatical, then it's horseshit. Otherwise, I'm not sure why he gets cut in favor of a guy like Wondolowski, who scores against the scrubs of the world.

All in all, though, not a terrible squad. No Evans, which is a huge relief, and he went mostly for talent over time served on the national team, such as in the case of Chandler. I'm kind of disappointed in no Terrence Boyd (again the Wondo thing), who is doing very well in Austria and a future stud, in my opinion.

6. Donovan said on that ESPN documentary last week that he wasn't even able to train on a daily basis at that time. It was probably filmed a month or so ago, so maybe he just wasn't able to be fully fit. During a transitional period for the national team like this, there's absolutely no sense in taking up a roster spot with a long past his prime star who isn't even able to train with up and comers all the time. IMO the spot is better suited being used to get experience for someone who has a long term future with the team as opposed to simply being doled out as a lifetime achievement award.

7. Unimane

I would agree if he was just taking up space, but he has been doing just fine in his appearances for the NT recently and was excellent in the Gold Cup last year (and not just Belize, like Wondo). He's not the Donovan of 2010, but I find it hard to imagine he isn't one of the 10 best players on the team, plus he is a gamer, which isn't easy to find.

8. Unimane

Just saw this, how in the hell does Brad Davis make the team over Landon? What the ****? I have to wonder if there was some personal shit between the two. Klinsmann almost seems like he is prepping for 2018 after seeing the group we're playing in. I mean, Brooks, Yedlin, Green? I like all of them for the future, but they really aren't ready for this stage, in my opinion.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know. Looking at the group, maybe that is the right call. Maybe we just don't have the guns for a real run this time, so he is setting us up for next time.

10. Unimane

I hope he didn't. Portugal and Ghana are definitely beatable. He's beaten equally talented teams to those two in his time here.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Who do you guys want taking penalties for us now?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Andrea Pirlo

in all seriousness, i guess the first guy up is Dempsey? After that Bradley or Jozy?

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  13. VB

VB Member

Davis made it because he is one of the few left sided, left footed players we have.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Dempsey is awful at penalties.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bradley for PK's, imo.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I think he's probably got the best temperament for it

17. Unimane

Jozy or Johannsson. I've seen Jozy take PKs. He's hellacious to stop, dude has serious strength behind his kicks.

18. Unimane

It will be Dempsey, though. He's the captain and, for any of his faults, he doesn't lack balls. He'll want it, if it happens.

19. VB

VB Member

For a team that I think will struggle to score, it's terrifying that Dempsey will be taking penalties for this team.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The more I think about it, I find a spot on the roster for him.