UT Tennis

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by kptvol, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We gonna be good again this year, or what?

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not sure. I'll call Jimmy Hyams tomorrow and ask.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is JP Smith still around?

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's gone I do believe.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Short answer: No.

We would have been favored to win the NCAAs this year had Rhyne Williams and Tennys Sandgren stayed. They didn't. This is a major rebuilding year. The freshmen crop is solid, but neither of the guys coming in are on the level of Williams or Sandgren. Tennessee will be good again at Tennis, and it won't take long. Wintherbotham is doing an excellent job of building the program into a perennial powerhouse, and I have complete faith that we'll be back among the elite possibly as early as 2012-2013. But this year ain't gonna be our year. Classic rebuilding year.

Sandgren should have stayed.

6. kidbourbon

Smith was a Senior.

Sandgren and Williams were rising Juniors -- and both better singles players than Smith -- but they are gone. We have a nice freshmen class (Top Men's Classes). They would have been perfect to play in the 4-6 range while Williams and Sandgren spanked everybody in sight at #1 and #2. Now they'll be forced to play up near the top, and they're not ready.

Also, don't ask Jimmy Hyams about UT Tennis. Ask me. I know quite a bit.

7. kidbourbon

8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

It is going to be key that TN gets at lead 2 of the big 4 out of the State of TN 2 years from now. That is the next wave of Williams/Sandgren impact. I am not sure they have a chance to get more than 2 of them, but one of them is a Knoxville kid. The freshman, Resse, along with one of the new foreign players will be vets by then, so they would be primed for another run.

A little down this year. Better next year.

9. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Bourbon,

According to the Tennessean beat writer, TN picked up a commitment from Sean Karl out of Ravenwood for 2013.....He is one of the 4 I mentioned above in last post......If they add the kid from Knoxville, they are going to be right back up at the top quick. It would be crazy if they could pull all 4, but I think getting hit by lightening is more likely.

Edit: Saw a poster on another site say that the kid out of Knoxville (Wood) is heading to UGA. Looks like Karl may be the only one they get from TN out of that class.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. kidbourbon

I came on here to mention that I was pretty sure the kid from Knoxville committed to UGA. Who are the other two?

11. kidbourbon

It was one of them Maxx Lipman? I'm not even sure that we're recruiting him.

12. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Lipman is one. They are awful right now, but they have his brother so that is probably a pull. Assuming he goes to college.

The other is Marshall Sharp out of Memphis. Has won the D2 AA State Singles title as freshman and sophomore. Has been hurt most of this season so not sure when he is scheduled to start back playing. He may actually have the best frame as he is around 6'3 or so.

13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Also, I think it is an utter shame that the women were forced to default several matches in a recent match because they did not have any players left to play after a few injuries. It can't be that hard to get a few walk-ons and trot them out there. Even if they get hammered, it's better than forfeiting.

Beginning to think the LV coaches are getting/have been a little to stale. Sad that UT has never beaten UF in Women's Tennis.

14. kidbourbon

I don't follow the LVs as much, but I know they have Rhyne Williams' sister on the team. Surely she is good.

15. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

His is sister is not bad, especially for a freshman, but is not a female equivalent of Rhyne for them.

The Patrick's are nice people, but IMO, a changing of the guard is needed. While the women's program is good for making it to the AA's on an annual basis, the program has not been elevated in some time. The state produces some quality female players just like it produces quality male players and it is extremely rare that TN seems to get any.

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

bourbon,

Just saw that Karl knocked Lipman off in straights last week in high school play. Both are in the same section, so only one could make it out (a shame that is bc it would be the final or semifinal)

That is a good win. Karl looks like he is poised to be UT's next star player

17. kidbourbon

That might be a touch of an overstatement. His junior record isn't particularly impressive. https://tennislink.usta.com/TOURNAM...ID=1047115&PlayerID=&Year=&Type=searchresults

18. kidbourbon

In fact, it is so bad that there has to be an explanation. Does he not play that many tournaments or something?

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

There is an explanation for Karl being ranked 50.

The ranking system is basically worthless these days in determining rank. There are a lot of players that are highly ranked simply because they play in tournament after tournament, thus accumulating a lot of points.

For example, the current #1 in TN is Michael Chen. He a solid player, but has a 31-27 record in the last 12 months. If you click on Karl (50) or Lippman (71) it will show that they have not played any tournaments in the past 6 months or so, but in fact they have been playing in National level tournaments.

This link is more accurate bc it takes in to account all tournaments: Tennis Recruiting

Lippman and Sharp are a little lower than I thought they would be, but both have been hurt for a good portion of the spring (both had stress fractures from what I heard). Even still, having 4 kids in the top 60 is really good. Actually there are 2 more in the top 100 although 1 of them trains in Florida.

Tennessee has Karl in the bag. I saw him at the State Tournament this week and even though he did not seem to be in top form, he won the State Title.

I heard that Tennessee has shown interest in Sharp and they remain a possibility although he is just starting to go through the process. He is a big kid with a big serve. A lot of upside to his game. He lost in the State Tournament, but he had just returned from the stress fracture and had appeared to tweak his knee earlier in the week in the team competition.

20. kidbourbon

New rankings are out:

Rhyne Williams
    Singles: 268 (+31)
    Doubles: 365 (+25)
    Note: Points added for winning a Futures in Spain and making it to a semifinal in another ... Has three professional singles titles ... Off this week.

Tennys Sandgren
    Singles: 287 (+2)
    Doubles: 327 (+9)
    Note: Played at the Sacramento Futures last week, losing in the first round ... Seeded first again this week at the $15,000 Futures in Chico, Calif.

John-Patrick Smith
    Singles: 305 (-5)
    Doubles: 161 (+6)
    Note: Lost in qualifying at the Nottingham Challenger in England ... Will wrap up stay in Europe this week at the UNICEF Open in The Netherlands.