POLITICS Virginia a testing ground for 2020.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TheOrangeEmpire, Dec 20, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think you ever own a firearm in the military. Or get to keep it when you are finished.

But if the 2nd amendment was referring to having a military, I guess we can knock off all this storming of state capitols.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

hard to explain West Virginia and a lot of western states if it’s all social economics.

Poor as hell with a ton of guns but low levels killing each other’s with them.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

west Virginia is in the top 15 states for gun death rate.

the idea that more people having guns means less people are shot is preposterous on every level, yet it persists.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The homicide rate with firearms is one of the lowest in the nation in West Virginia.

You have to count suicide rates to get your top 15

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

we already talked about this. I see no reason to exclude suicides.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Why should they count in gun violence?

I get that you need them to make a shocking and scary number for the changes that you want to make.

I just don’t think someone punching their own ticket is the same as murder if existence is that heavy of a burden to them.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

You described London's homicide rate as a major problem because it was mostly knives, but West Virginia's homicide rate is more than three times that of London's. You have a position: guns don't matter. No amount of data will sway you, even as you accidentally contradict yourself.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/world/london-us-cities-homicide-rates-comparison-intl-gbr/index.html

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Didn't say ownership. Said give. You get given a firearm in the military. It's a federal program. For adults.

And after you leave, you are much better trained and able to get your own firearm, as well as having gone through lots and lots of safety and storage procedures.

Seems like this should make you happy.

But instead you went snarky. Because you don't actually want any of those things.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe you're snarky.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I said london is having a serious issue with its homicide rate rising after invoking stricter gun control measures.

West Virginia has a 1.6 out of 100,000 gun homicide rate.

Guns everywhere in WV.
    Poor people everywhere in WV
    Huge drug problem in WV
    Yet they have a really low gun homicide rate with firearms.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, all I have are a bunch of sources which don't support what you are claiming. you have not provided any support but your belief. That you have chosen, randomly, WV suggests that you are cherry-picking a particular state so I assume that if we talked about other states with high ownership it would not be as favorable-- though you've done nothing but repeat a claim without supporting it in the first place, and it will definitely conflict with your assessment of the murder rate in London. For certain. You said that was a serious problem, but it is DEFINITELY less than WV, based on the information I linked. And that didn't include suicides.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sure look at North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Hawaii.

All have the largest percentage of gun owners and all have very low homicide rates. Especially homicde rates with firearms.

Louisiana would be a counter it has a large percentage of firearms but has a shit ton of homicdes.

Delaware has the nations lowest rate of gun ownership at about 5 percent of the population but is one of the top states for homicdes at nearly 7 per 100,000.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Show me.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

How does gun homicide rate correlate with population density?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Those states have cities with high population densities but yet still don’t have big gun homicide rates within them.

Certain urban centers have issues though while others don’t.

It’s not easy to explain but just saying social economics either though.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No one said that but you. How much more violent was 2018 than 2016 gun homicide

I was just sharing the fbi numbers that I had.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Suicide is violence done to yourself.

The others are violence done to others.

One of these is not like the others. That is just one of the reasons to exclude it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

the numbers I had were from 2018, I am legitimately curious why they aren't good.

Even the 2016 number is more than London's homicide rate, btw