Vols 1-0 post game thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 31, 2014.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Looked like he shanked the first field goal; took a divot out of the turf. I hope it was just nerves.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It looked like the snap was late. He seemed to start, stop then start and kick again. It was off all the way around.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Is there any word on Darr's ankle or any other injuries?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What was the OL lineup after Gillam was hurt?

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Nice

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Allan Kendrick came in at LT

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch expects Darr to play, it wasn't near as bad as it looked.

Gilliam is expected to be fine too

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I half expected his tibia and fibia to be sticking out of the side of his foot. It was ugly.

9. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

If anything, Worley was surprisingly good last night. 11-11 in the third quarter is as impressive as you can get. Plus, I thought he moved well in the pocket.

He's still an average QB but if last night is any indicator for his performance for the season, I'm not quite as concerned as I was.

...but the guy can't throw a Go route to save his life.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Good to be seen. Wish we could have gotten there earlier. Too many women and too many kids in tow.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Caught it fat.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Worley is what Worley is. We can gripe all we want, but he's a good game manager. I thought his arm looked stronger, actually, and that he looked much better in the pocket. Also thought he had a couple of nice throws where he put it where only his guy could get it.

Third quarter I was as pleased I've been offensively in a while.

We're going to have to use the horizontal passing game as a run game for a while. The line just isn't there.

Cannot stress how much the speed on defense shocked me, even from returning guys. AJ has gained two steps. And there were multiple times that what was a 3-5 yard gain would have been a 15-20 yard gain last year.

13. CardinalVol

In other, non football comments and notes.

I was standing in line for the bathroom, but the circle the drum line thing at the end of warm ups was allegedly pretty cool.

I thought Jarnigan did a nice job with the PA duties, even if it was really weird not hearing Bobby Denton's voice. I also hope having the Denton recording play every time before the band steps on the field wasn't a one time thing. The tribute was very nice.

I personally like the Third Down For What. The players like it, the students like it, and I enjoy watching 50 year old rednecks try to dance to it.

Credit where it is due to the Pride. New songs and so far Ryder seems willing to work with football.

All in all, last night was my most enjoyable evening in Neyland in some time.

14. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Curt Maggit looked a bit rusty which was expected but how about Chris Weatherd? That dude showed up literally a day or two before fall camp started and will be one of our best pass rushers.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Good to hear. Will up there for the UF game. That is if it's not too wet for the Gators.

16. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

For those who were there, how was the atmosphere? Did the third down for what thing get annoying?

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

No it was awesome

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Butch please

19. CardinalVol

Agree. I don't know how it works, but it works. I had my doubts, but it's not hokey.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Even late in the game with the outcome well in hand it still managed to get people loud