Vols 1-0 post game thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Bajakian is a Chinese puzzle at times calling plays. No rhyme or reason to anything. Hes still a major concern for me. On the other hand Jancek had the D ready. Outside of the TD drive (2 plays), they were lights out. Not ready to crown him in any shape or form but kudos to him and that side of the ball tonite.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Completely agree. It's taken awhile, but Jancek is proving that he isn't oblivious to his shortcomings.

3. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Having Chris Weathered and Dillon Bates out there instead of Sapp and Brewer help just a tad as well.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I like the fact that there were a ton of underclassmen and, especially, freshmen out there tonight. Sure, their inexperience will be a problem tonight, but the talent level has been so shitty recently that it's encouraging these younger guys are so decisively and quickly earning their time on the field. If had a banner recruiting year and were still playing a bunch of walk-ons and Dooley signees, I shudder to think what the next few years would bring.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

blair apparently didn't play at all. could use that guy not being a bust.

6. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Also liked what we got out of Danny O'Brien. He was getting a lot of penetration and caused disruption more than a few times.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He was the definition of decent tonight, nothing really bad, nothing spectacular. He threw a bunch of swing, bubble and short passes which, by the 3rd quarter, were getting more accurate. However, his throws beyond 15 yards were mostly terrible. So, he was decent, to me. That kid from Texas A&M the other night, now he was better than decent.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Yes

Makes you hate white people

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

What pistol? We were in shotgun all night.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wolf missed a block on the opening drive that led to a sack

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Worley had some shitty throws, our WRs are the motha****ing bomb. They definitely made him look good with some diving catches. I wish we could have seen some Peerless type 80 yard TDs. Defense was unbelievable. Do we have a chance in the East, I'm on the bandwagon.

12. OrangeEmpire

I'm getting there. I'm stirring the Koolaid, just can't take a drink yet.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unless Gurley gets hurt, the east is Georgia's for the taking.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gurley hasn't stayed healthy in his first two seasons at UGA

16. OrangeEmpire

I'll take the growing pains.

Last night was down right exciting.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate the playcalling on offense, but I'm trying to figure out what you do when both tackles are average at best at run blocking and you have no full back on the roster. Blair needs to get his shit together.

Tennessee's interior OL blocked well but they were confused by some of blitzes Utah State ran. You protect an OL by throwing screens, quick passes and moving the pocket. Worley is a lot better when he can set up instead of throwing on the move. I don't care what Dobbs or Peterman can do, they aren't under center. I would love to be able to hand the ball off and expect 4 yards every time, but the OL can't do that yet. I do think Robertson and Jackson will be those types of guards eventually though.

It was bad in the first half but it started working in the second. This is a team full of first year starters. If they don't improve as the season progresses, I'll be pissed.

18. tfannon

tfannon Member

I enjoyed watching the team win. However, I just could not shake this constant feeling that what I am seeing tonight will not stack up well against SEC teams. Especially the o-line and the play calling.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Drink a little more and that goes away.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Start off with small sips