Vols are "very young"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Jun 19, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I sometimes legitimately wonder if he spends more time game-planning or working on excuses.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is year 5. He needs to stfu.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I guess we've went from diapers to pull-ups!

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

While Phil Steele says the Vols have one of the most experienced o lines in the country.

Look, you've got a 2 year starter at MLB, three corners that have played a ton in Moseley, Martin and Buchanan, experience on the defensive line, two safeties with a ton of starts, an oline with a lot of starts and a running back that averaged 5 yards a carry.

Yes, you're breaking in a new qb, getting more reps for some young wrs and a new linebacker, but this team isn't inexperienced.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

OL has more returning starts than any P5 team.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And another WR, Josh Smith is a RS senior. Tyler Byrd played in every game.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He knows that players are only there 3-5 years, right? And less when he lies to them?

11. chef66

chef66 New Member

Like most of you, my first reaction was to chide Butch for this seemingly unconscionable utterance, but I've since come to my senses.

Hear me out. How can any supervisor or manager be expected to succeed when his entire body of subordinates is no older than 23? Think of yourself when you were that age. Does anyone here genuinely believe he would make for a competent and disciplined employee before he's travelled around the sun at least 50 times?

In the teeth of these inauspicious circumstances, our fearless leader has delivered no less than four championships, even managing to win an athletic competition in an automotive venue, a feat unparalleled by the most revered generals of past and present.

Show some gratitude.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Step above Dooley.

Your welcome.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Got Phil Steele. Has you 48th in experience and 3rd on the east. Does say you might be a surprise team

14. NorrisAlan

Yeah, I would be surprised if we get 8 wins.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think 7 wins gets him another year - IF...
    he doesn't lose the locker room, and
    he keeps 3 of 5 big SEC games at least somewhat competitive, and
    He keeps "doing great" in 18 class (I don't follow it or the kids at all...but last I heard, it looked like an atypical "high character" class to me, and no big difference makers) and
    either Dormandy or Guarantano has flashes of being spectacular next season.

This is the EXACT peril of hiring an arguably unproven but largely middling coach....they always gravitate to the middle...where a case can be made every year to keep or fire them. And when given a choice between making a switch and standing pat, most AD's leap at the latter, knowing that the best and most likely (only?) way they get ran out is to screw up the HBC hire.

The single best way to get rid of a Butch Jones is never to hire him in the first place. And if you do hire him, to immediately call for the firing of anyone who played a role in his hiring - because even if they're "right" and he pans out, they just guessed right, and were still willing to gamble with the program's future in such a hazardous way.

This is why the "wait and see" crowd always stretches my disdain for vigilante violence to its thread-bare and bleeding edge.

16. Tenacious D

Even though I can't imagine losing to Tech, I still think we do.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I can't imagine us coming back from Atlanta with a W.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His 2018 class has a future NFL starter in Cade Mays and some elite defensive talent. Alontae Taylor is a good athlete too and Martinez is a good QB prospect. It's looking better than 2016 or 2017 simply due to his keeping in state guys in state.

But

7 wins gets him ran.

19. Tenacious D

I trust that you're right on the former, and pray that you are on the latter.

20. NorrisAlan

I think we lose to Tech and the wheels come off early. We will be hunting a new coach 1st of November.