Vols are "very young"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Jun 19, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His recruiting is helped out by the fact Cade Mays has been coming to Tennessee games since he was in the womb, there's two 4 star defensive linemen (already committed too) and one borderline 5 star defensive lineman in state. The only in state guy Tennessee has recruited really hard and missed was Master Teague and I think he's still a possibility to flip.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Walt Wells has helped Butch's in state recruiting a lot. The drawback is that Walt Wells is a pretty crappy coach

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Recruiting has become such a big deal on social media that some fans forget the end game after a class is signed. It's almost it's own season.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

something tells me that 7 gets him ran under Currie, but wouldn't have under Hart

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Recruiting is going really well right now.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Agree. No doubt some would rock a Signind Day National Championship shirt.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am also worried about coming back healthy because of their chop blocking.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We will win in Atlanta.

9. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

But who you gonna get? - Volnation

You are correct. Instead of going out and getting a coach with proven wins and championships (even FCS), we muddle through each search and seemingly throw darts at a map to choose the CEO of a $100 million business. We have a coach who will probably never see the SEC championship game, and yet we're happy to stand pat because "look at all those other programs who botched their coaching hires."

As storied and deep as our program is (was?), you can't tell me that at worst you couldn't go hire some coach who won championships at a lower lever and bring in a bunch of UT alumni to hold his hand on things that are peripheral to coaching and winning. Things like social media, etc.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree on the Hart part....not sure that Currie is a shooter...or that he'll have the green light.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's cut blocking and with the whole off season it will be a technique issue if they're getting to our knees.

GT gets a bad rep for doing how basically all offenses do with cut blocking. They're just a flexbone team doing it, instead of a spread team cutting the back side in OZ.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

now, this part is up in the air for sure

13. chef66

chef66 New Member

Too bad none of those guys will ever be old enough to help.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

i could see a frustrating GT game where they just grind down the field over and over for touchdowns and we have to settle for field goals. something like 28-13.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Is there anyone who can help coach the OL? Was Wells brought in to really just recruit or are we needing him to actually coach a position he can't?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's an oline coach by trade, just not a good one

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah I knew that was his background but I can see why my post didn't read that way - by can't I meant is very bad. I just meant was he basically brought in as a recruiter and OL coach in name only or are our OLmen screwed?

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Young? Well whose fault is that, Lyle?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's almost like when our guys get 3 or 4 years of experience, they just leave.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Some of the big name guys leave at 2.5.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk