Vols Spring Practice 2012

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley

[video=youtube;hChCG44-m3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hChCG44-m3o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Not a fan of DooDrop. The more I hear him talk the more irritating I find him to be.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Spring Practice recap of the last week

Offense:
    Zack Fulton had been out with a stress fracture in his foot.
    No running backs really separating from the pack. Already talk of a platoon approach to the position.
    Raijon Neal is back as a full time RB.
    Darin Hinshaw is emphasizing WR blocking and Chaney has noted that the entire offense is more effective in run blocking.
    Alden Hill is practicing at fullback.
    Da'Rick Rogers was suspended briefly from practice for undisclosed reasons, but is now back in the fold.
    Dallas Thomas is practicing at guard and Antonio "Tiny" Richardson is expected to be the starter at LT.

Defense:
    Christian Harris tore his ACL. Probably out for the season.
    Corey Miller is not practicing due to academic issues.
    Byron Moore is getting first team reps at safety.
    Safeties are bein referred to as left and right rather than strong and free. Not exactly sure why that is.
    Prentiss Waggner is once again primarily at cornerback.
    Brent Brewer is practicing at OLB and safety, but is wearing the red no contact jersey as his knee is still not ready.
    Jacques Smith and Willie Bohannon expected to be top 2 jack linebackers.

That's all the big news I can recall for Spring Practice thus far. Anything I forgot?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would love for someone to weigh in on the left and right safeties thing. I am purely spitball speculating, but I wonder if this is a foreshadowing of more aggressive safety play in general in terms of moving up to the box, and in a multiple/unpredictable sort of way.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We're going to need a 8thmaxim course on the 3-4. I wonder if [MENTION=157]JayVols[/MENTION] or [MENTION=153]Volst53[/MENTION] would be willing to host a thread?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Helps the player remember which side of the field he is supposed to be on.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Are you being serious?

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm not an absolute authority on the 3-4, but often times people won't be able to tell much of a difference from a 40 front. You generally will see pressure coming from somewhere most every play. The defense lends itself to aggressiveness. I like aggressiveness. Most of the 30 front defense I have faced was a 3-5. Basically the same as a 3-4 but without a 2 deep safety. What would be the SS is actually lined up as an LB.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Sounds legit to me.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I would assume the safeties won't be moving around. They will have to know the roles of being on the strongside and weak. It would allow for any of the safeties to come in at either spot. JMO.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Also, Cam Clear is going to be a monster if he ever gets in the open field.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Left and right safeties isn't the norm for the 3-4. Most play standard coverages and assignments behind the front, using Free and Strong safeties

If I had to guess, it's used to disguise coverage in Sal's system.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's the next Leonard Pope

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Is he that fast?

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Bray's Stats:

11-32 1 INT 1 TD 142 yds

Da'Rick Rogers and Justin Hunter combine for 0 catches, 0 rushed, 0 yards, 0 TD's.

Rajion Neal had good stats. Same for Devrin Young and Alden Hill.

17. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Also, Greg King leads the team in tackles for this scrimmage. That's good news.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Palardy had a FG blocked. I wonder who lost the fumble.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well, I don't know about you guys, bit those stats have made me giddy with anticipation.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Neal's stats make me less anxious. It is spring though.