Wal-Mart Employees Planning Strike

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by gorockytop101, Nov 16, 2012.

1. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

2. _Crew_

_Crew_ Contributor

...seeing as I don't participate in such foolishness since i got my first playstation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

3. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

will they get thug support ?
    Thug = union

4. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

oh noes!!!!!!

5. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I bet it won't work. Whether they agree or disagree with unionizing, a lot of Wal-Mart workers live from one check to the next. I bet every part time housewife and pothead that lives with his parents on the Wal-Mart payroll will stay home though. Things might actually go smoother.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It doesn't fit the narrative of the Right, but it has always taken pain and sacrifice to unionize.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your answer is in the article.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Proud non union worker!

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Please share some of the pain and sacrifice inflicted on gov't employees to unionize.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I have no doubt that, somehow, the victims in this situation, as portrayed by the right, will be the poor owners and executives held hostage by nefarious hordes of ungrateful and lazy $9/hour workers.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I suspect those folks will get along just fine. It is the person who formerly had a $9/hour job who finds themselves unemployed who might not fair so well.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say government employees. Confirmation bias. Dozens of industries with abuse and massacres on the road to unionization, and you pick the one without.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see why they aren't allowed to bargain that their labor is actually more valuable than 9 dollars an hour with no benefits. If it isn't, they should be easily replaced by those who value their labor much less. Supply and demand works for labor, too.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In that article one of the full-time managers complains that she has to be on food stamps. Any idea what a manager makes there?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think you are agreeing with him.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What is wrong with picking that one. Just because it doesn't fit with your leftist BS. You said, "it has always taken pain and sacrifice to unionize."

What was their pain and sacrifice?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They were and are part of a larger movement. At the time of their formation, they were underpaid and under-benefited relative to their private sector colleagues. Even now, if you control for age and education they aren't actually paid any more than the private sector (although the recession may have changed that).

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even still, you are going to have to explain to me the virtues of child labor (occurring into the 20th century by the way), 16 hour work days, the murdering of women and children in an effort to coerce labor, and companies that didn't pay in currency so they could force workers to only be able to spend their money within the company store. That of course also tied them to the company and it's operations indefinitely, and wasn't much different than outright slavery. All of this, in the twentieth century. Check out the Ladlow massacre sometime.