Wal-mart to shutter 269 stores, 154 of them in the us

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have to drive 3 hours to get to my closest Tractor Supply. I stock up on hats whenever I go.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got 5 tractor supplies, 3 john deere dealers and 3 co-ops within 20 miles of the house

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have 637 Cuban bakeries within 5 miles of my house.

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I have to drive three miles. Got a Harbor Freight even closer for cheap tools...

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Damn RobCo

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Blockbuster had a Netflix like program before Netflix. You could rent movies, they'd send them to you. You could return them in store, and rent more movies. All on a monthly plan.

The problem was no nobody knew Blockbuster had this plan, and it was limited in its availability.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was thinking Redbox was what truly did in Blockbuster.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Even Netflix is going to have to be adaptable as hell. They were a lot more profitable when their bread and butter was sending DVDs through the mail.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That and Netflix killed them with their expensive as hell overhead.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Redbox killed a lot of B&Ms before the publishing companies clamped down on their release.

Hell, Apple, Amazon and Comcast could probably kill Redbox, but they must be paying out their rear for rentals.

The same movie that is $1.99 or whatever at Redbox is $2.99-4.99 on one of the other streamers.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

But I thought our president told us the economy was great.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wal-marts closing seems good to me. They sell foreign merchandise and pay low. Whatever happened to people wanting to buy USA?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they are closing a very small percentage of their stores. mostly ones where they opened competing stores nearby. Costco actually did something similar but opened enough in other areas to compensate for the loss. to me it's a non story and means almost nothing about the economy. Now sales weren't great for Xmas, but that's another argument.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They also sell low as hell margins but goods just aren't moving.

16. Oldvol75

But atleast those employed in those stores had a paycheck. Now they have 0. Minus food stamps and unemployment benefits of course. Sometimes less is actually more.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It seems completely believable that they were beginning to have overlapping spheres. I'm within 5 miles of 3 Wal Marts.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of currently employed people receive food stamps.

19. Oldvol75

That is true, but those that had health coverage through Wal mart have now lost that too. There's more involved than just that loss of the paycheck here.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they have the most efficient inventory system ever devised. their profit margin is pretty low, but they still make a crapload of money, unlike amazon.