We Beat Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Sep 24, 2022.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll take Tennessee in a shoot out against everyone but Alabama and Georgia going forward.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't like not having a db coach worth a damn or a defensive scheme that relies on unathletic safeties making plays but Hendon being damn near perfect isn't something that should surprise anyone anymore

Volokie likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's the Willie Martinez way.

zehr27 likes this.
  4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I have to believe that after yesterday, any recruits on the fence about coming here should be convinced. When we are winning, there is no place better. Period.

VolDad, IP, utvol0427 and 2 others like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Florida had to convert five 4th downs and recover an onside kick to lose by five. That is desperation and admitting you aren't the better team.

Richardson had to throw it 44 times, Tennessee dictated what Florida did offensively. They took him out of his comfort zone and didn't let Florida run at all, really.

VolDad likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A low key awesome moment yesterday was when Florida jumped offsides in the 4th time give us the first down and Mincey started Ric Flairing but making first down gestures. I don't know if they showed it on TV but it was fantastic.

IP, utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I didn't see that, dammit

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I actually came away somewhat impressed by Napier’s clear-eyed assessment of his own team and his willingness to play high-risk to give himself a chance. He knew we were better, and he played the only game he could. And it almost worked, but…we were too much better.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would call it more desperation than anything else

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think that made it to tv

This did though IMG_20220925_103008.jpg

IP, utvol0427, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  11. Tar Volon

Wish our last two jokers had coached with that kind of desperation.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Congratulations Florida, you hired a guy that's better than Butch and Pruitt

13. Tar Volon

I hope that’s the only bar he clears at Florida.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thing is if we stop 3 of the 4th downs, it’s a blowout. 4th and 2 bomb from own 27 is not going to pay off consistently. He woulda looked like a fool had we stopped a couple.
    It’s desperation and basically, “they are gonna score on us anyway so let’s try to keep the ball”

IP and utvol0427 like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, the 4th downs felt like desperation, but at a certain point, it was hard to blame him. We couldn’t stop it.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There was a play during one of their late drives (maybe the last) where we not only let a receiver catch a ball in soft coverage, but then let him run out of bounds to stop the clock. I was losing my mind.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That was great. I don't know if there was anyone in the stadium yesterday enjoying themselves as much as Mincey.

justingroves likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There was not. At all. He savored every last second of it. Should have put him on the goalline to knock down a hail mary attempt. I will guarantee he would have come down with it.

justingroves likes this.
  19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Speaking of Mincey, he has quietly become our best OL. He grades out higher than every other OL each week.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I've noticed that also. He's been a really pleasant surprise for a transfer and he's only a RS Sophomore.

However, the PFF grades I saw for the Florida game had him at 40 and Darnell Wright at 63. Overall I was actually surprised at how poorly the OL were graded against Florida.

40.2, 54.6, 60.8, 59.5, 63.2 were the LT<->RT grades. Not great, I thought they all played better.