We're #1

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 1, 2022.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

They beat the spread and ran out the clock while taking no unnecessary risks.

They passed 21 times in the 1st Half and 4 times in the 2nd. Game composition and weather are why. They were dominating us.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hooker hits Hyatt in the first quarter for a TD and we have an entirely different game. We won’t duplicate today’s results on a neutral site

DC Vol likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They only had one drive in the second half that was even remotely successful (the first one). After that it was fumble, 3 plays for -8 yards, 3 plays for -2 yards, game over.

On the 3rd drive, they shot themselves in the foot with a penalty and decided to eat clock rather than take a risk trying to get a 1st down they probably wouldn’t get anyway. The 4th drive, we got a TFL to put them in 3rd and long. They tried to throw it and failed. They tried going deep at least once in the second half and missed.

We had 3rd and 3 on our own 40 with 3 minutes left, down 14. That’s not what getting dominated looks like.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The way I look at it:

We played about as poorly as we could, and they played about as well as they could, and we only lost by two TDs. Would they have played the second half differently if the game was close? Of course. But I also don’t think they can consistently do some of the things they were doing in the first half.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I tend to agree. I think missing that got in his head and, combined with OL jitters early on contributed to our O just shutting down.

We got down to vastly superior talent and Hooker never got going. Florida and Bama eventually overcame crowd entirely due to their QBs. Ours wasn't there today.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee doesn't have the athletes at tailback right now. Small has one arm, Wright fumbles every 10th carry and Sampson puts forth no effort in pass protection. That's one of the biggest weaknesses on the roster. With that limitation, Tennessee should finish 11-1, so props to Heupel.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Which is why it was baffling that he was in on our last fourth down.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yep. Not one back that could force Georgia to miss a single tackle all night.

That’s clearly the best defensive unit in America, and no one is going to make them look silly, but you’ve gotta match elite personnel with elite personnel if you’re going to have a chance…we’re not there.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

there are opportunities to cutback some of the up the middle runs and pop outside. We either don’t coach or can’t see/feel it. Jaylen Wright beat ga to the corner so would like to see more of that, but as you said, he fumbles too easily and some aren’t even really big hits or rakes.
    I’m on a rant on how we are not using rbs when it’s open. Downfield wasn’t open yesterday. They either ran with us or squatted with safety help. Flats and middle 15 were empty. Against a defense like that, we have to make them pay by dumping it to an rb where the blitz came from, or the angle route from the backfield which is unstoppable in man. We didn’t do it once.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We've got to get a legit back. Not sure if there are any portal options, but a quality back can come in here with this offense and put up 1,000 yards and 10 TDs without trying. Seems we'd be an attractive option.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Man if only Gibbs had chosen us over Alabama this past off season. Eric Gray also would have been a perfect RB in this offense.

DC Vol and IP like this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup.

He'd have 1000 yards total offense already in this scheme.

Indy and IP like this.
  13. Ssmiff

would we throw it to him out of the backfield or never try it. He had 8 catches last night for Bama.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We've thrown it to Small some, they don't seem to want to throw it to Wright

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Over the last 15 years I’ve see us play many teams that if we played them 10 times I’m confident we would never win a game. I’ve watched us and UGA enough this year that if we played them 10 times on a neutral field we’d win a couple of them. Give me another shot at them before settling for a consolation Sugar Bowl.

Memtownvol, A-Smith, IP and 2 others like this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'd give us 4 out of 10 and feel good about it. Their talent edge is what keeps me from getting to 50/50.

utvol0427 likes this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think we could beat them at least one or two times out of ten on a neutral field. I'd revel at another shot in a Playoff setting despite the odds being against us. We'd have to channel a theme like Herb Brooks said in his badass pregame speech in the movie Miracle: "9/10 times the Soviets will beat us, but not tonight. 9/10 times the Soviets are going to be better than us, but not tonight! Tonight we skate with them!".

With that said, I'm not going to poo-poo and [itch bay] about a season where we go 11-1 and "settle" for a Sugar Bowl considering where this program was just a few months ago.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

I’m hoping Sampson can be that weapon for us next year, but I’d still like to see is do it. Even today in the NFL, rbs need to be a threat, especially when you’ve run everybody else deep

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Small has 11 catches, 2 were touchdowns.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Sampson is only going to half ass throw a shoulder into a blitzer, he may as well be running routes.

Memtownvol likes this.