We're Back

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This is going to feel like the one of longest off seasons in a while. I'm still tempering my expectations somewhat but I can't wait for this Sept.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

And why not. Hit a couple and safeties will have to play 20 yards off the line which opens up all kinds of fun. As soon as they start creeping up hit it deep again. Good times!

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Looking at the depth chart for next year I’m cautiously optimistic

4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Yes but had we not list to SoCar then we would have been the top rated 1 loss team

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Did not realize we had more rushing than passing TDs

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think that's a reflection on how Heupel is completely different than everyone else whose ran wide open offenses. When he gets inside the 10, he is keeping it on the ground and the only way he's putting it in the air is by running a play designed to get someone wide open. It the guy he's setting up isn't open the QB throws it out of the end zone.

InVolNerable likes this.
  8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Which works tremendously when you have multiple rushing threats in the background. We’ll have to see what happens when we have a less mobile QB (though Milton and Nico can both run it a bit)

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have a sneaky suspicion that Heupel will be able to use round pegs for round holes and square pegs for square holes

A-Smith, OneForVol, Tar Volon and 2 others like this.
  10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Milton runs just like Hooker. Both can cover ground but neither are evasive in open field.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Not disagreeing but unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure Nico can run. If I'm remembering correctly a big part of his recruiting was Heupel being able to put him in an offense that allowed him to play like his childhood hero Mariota.

Edit: sorry. I read your post incorrectly

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Which in the current coaching climate is Mensa level thinking.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Milton IMO doesn’t run anything like Hooker. He’s more powerful but much less shifty and doesn’t have the same vision. But he’s no statue that’s going to make us rethink our short yardage strategy.

warhammer likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Milton is different but is going to make anyone thinking he can't run look stupid next year.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve always thought Milton was a pretty good downhill runner on a called running play. I’d like to see him get better at tucking and running on a pass play like Hook did so many times

16. Ssmiff

I don’t believe Heup, who could run himself, will have a qb who can’t run enough to extend drives and keep the D honest.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it is a problem either way because the offense will be tailored to what's on the field

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Ain't it great to be able to genuinely believe that again after so long?

IP likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

yeah to an extent but Heups offense and the college game is about the qb and being mobile. He will always have someone who can move running his offense.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Fant had 5 rush and 3 receiving, lol.

NorrisAlan likes this.