What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also wanted to reiterate how much I like the handheld option for the Switch. Can’t believe I didn’t start using it sooner. I imagine it’s not ideal for a lot of games, but I love it for Pokémon.

2. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Only thing I could see is the PS5 slim sometime this year, but you never know.

3. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I mean not too much of reason to buy one yet either way unless you just really want one. Not a ton of games that are next gen only.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hmm. I just worry I’ll buy them and then they’ll drop in price or an advanced version will come out.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They’re both better than what I currently have. Got my 2021 bonus check today, so I’m itching to buy myself something. I’ve also got $850 worth of visa gift cards from my company’s internal points system that we use to reward colleagues for going above and beyond. They’ve just been sitting there for a couple months waiting to be redeemed.

I would say maybe I should just grab one of the two now, but I’d probably go with the PS5, which seems harder to get your hands on. My PS4 is the normal one, but my Xbox is the One X, so pretty solid.

Idk. Could also just build a PC.

6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m probably going to be in the market next year or possibly the year after and have been wondering which route to take. With game pass and PS plus or whatever, the PC option is starting to look like the best of both worlds in not missing out on exclusive games, but I also don’t know how much extra fiddling you’d have to do going the PC route. I’ll probably end up just getting the series X and budget PS for simplicity’s sake.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The biggest hurdle for me with PC is how I would set it up. It seems like everyone who does PC gaming does it with a monitor, and usually with a dual monitor set up.

I have no desire to do that. I'm not hooking up a gaming PC in my home office, as I don't want to blur the lines too much between my work space and my gaming space. I've also got 2 free monitors from my employer that I doubt would work well for gaming. I'm open to having my mind changed about this, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I could set up a completely different space for PC gaming, but that just seems redundant, and I'm not even sure we have room for it anywhere.

That leaves setting it up in the living room connected to the main TV as the only feasible option, and that just seems.... weird...

8. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Why?

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Just become a twitch streamer. Then gaming IS work.

How do you look in a low cut top, Indy?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I had a couple buddies try to get the Twitch thing going. It didn't really work out for either of them.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why don't I want to blur the lines too much between my work space and my gaming space? I feel like that should be self-evident.

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

No, not really. Hence the question.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

My work space and gaming space are in the same space. The major advantage is whenever work is very slow or nonexistent, I can fire up a game for 15-30 minutes rather than just sit around doing mindless/pointless crap to stay busy.

My old job before I was laid off, I had been working from home for a few years. Mondays and Fridays were almost always slow, but Tuesday-Thursdays were busy and I would work a fair amount of unpaid overtime since I was salaried. I never felt too bad about spending 2 hours playing The Last of Us 2 or whatever I was into considering, since “early releases” were nonexistent regardless of workload. This is not to mention I consistently did 1.5-2x as much “productive”work in 8 hours as almost everyone in a similar role

That’s not a flex, I really enjoyed that job and was very good at it

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My work is never slow or nonexistent. There's always something else I can or should be doing. There are times where I take a short break, but that's when I hop on here briefly or read an article online. I don't ever really take like, 30 minute breaks when I'm working from home.

Do you work from home on a daily basis? For the entire day? How frequently do you play video games?

Just seems like it would be weird to work for 9 or so hours, then spend an hour or two in the same room playing games.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If my work space stays just my work space, it's less ambiguous. Like, I don't really get where the confusion is. Here:

https://www.wework.com/ideas/profes...daries between the,day for meetings and calls

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I work and play on my office. I turn off my work computer when I'm done for the day and turn on my personal one. No issues whatsoever being in the same space.

Otherwise I'd be in your situation where you think you need to plug your computer into a TV or buy monitors you don't need.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If I go with a PC and set it up in my office, I'm still going to have to buy monitors. Or I assume I will, at least. I can't imagine the specs on these free monitors my employer gave me back in 2018 are up to snuff for what I would need with a gaming PC.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is playing on a monitor not annoying? Like, right now I sit on my couch, 8-10 feet away from my 55 inch television, when I play games.

Sitting in an office chair playing on a small monitor just seems... weird... Maybe you get used to it and it feels normal with time.