What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Buddy tells me that for a bomb ass gaming PC set up, I'm looking at $3000-$3500, and it should last me 10 years with relatively little need to "upgrade" it during that time.

How much would a couple great, not excellent, monitors run me?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I figured you still had one of these

Attached Files:

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, is God of War Ragnarok going to be on PC? Because if not, that could be a deal breaker. At a minimum, that means I might as well go ahead and buy a PS5.

Although I guess if it's released on PS4, I could just get it for that...

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is what I have, along with a decent 24 inch AOC that runs about 150 or so

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used...P4KoPCeRFJ3iVBVEyBkHvfiKjjQfuxmRoCDEIQAvD_BwE

If you want 4K you will spend more. 3000 for a gaming PC is a shit ton, if you build yourself and don’t go top of the line video card (which are damned near impossible to find anyway) you can pretty easily do everything including monitors for like 2500

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, building is not hard in the least. Just watch some YouTube videos and figure out your cable organization and you are good to go

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

AOC? Screw her. I’m out.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wouldn't I want 4K? My buddy would probably help me set it up.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

20439.jpeg

fl0at_ likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I guess, realistically, I won’t necessarily need to replace my second monitor. I’m only gonna have the games up in the main monitor, yeah?

10. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen the ps5 has been easier to get. Not necessarily due to lower demand, I think they’ve just had less supply issues than Microsoft. I was able to get my ps5 and several for friends well before I could get an Xbox Series X.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I just built, and put $4k in for hardware and $600 for two monitors.

If I hadn't screwed up and bought the wrong motherboard, it would have been $4k total.

Now is not the time to buy, wait until the fall or winter.

12. KyleAlexanderfan

You want 27” 1440p monitors. $250-$350 each.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

Still waiting to buy a new GPU. At this point I’ll be getting the 4080. Given up on getting a 3080.

14. fl0at_

Only reason I built now is because I was able to get a card. And I wish it had been a 3090 just because of the hassle.

15. fl0at_

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If you have the money for it, do it. Look, if you have a 3500 dollar budget, by all means spend 3500 dollars. Just be patient, the high end video cards are pretty much always scarce now. When I built my last one, it wasn’t silly crypto season on vid cards yet.

But it’s like you said earlier, if console is good enough for you, just save money and go console. I have access to consoles and PC, but it’s because I barely spend money on anything except savings, necessities, house shit, and then gaming

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, it should be said, if you are going with a FreeSync monitor, AMD is better. If you are doing G-Sync, NVidia

18. fl0at_

19. fl0at_

I am shunning G-sync. Instantly doubles the price of a monitor. Probably works fabulously, but I've lived with tearing my entire life. I don't need to spend $350 extra per monitor to have it occur less frequently.

20. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

If you don’t care so much about graphics and love the switch’s handheld aspect, the steam deck might be worth looking into. It’ll be a while before they’re easy to get though.

Edit: scratch this, I’m an idiot. This thing won’t play newer titles

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022